And To The Republic For Which It Stands

These colors so deep have begun to fade and our blue sky stars cease to shine at all /
"O, America!" they cry, in search of some to take a stand and others to take the fall //

Sons of mothers now just serial numbers being shipped overseas to even some score /
He who eludes an eternal slumber wakes up knowing exactly what to be grateful for //

When the holy raised their heads from prayer they did not know who was to blame /
For all of the pain and sin and sorrow and for their homeland that was up in flames //

It has not rained here in No Man’s Land since they killed a man named Jesus Christ /
Some buddies of his went on to write a book and another discovered betrayal’s price //

Two thousand years later we have come to support our country in camouflage and tanks /
Even those who are able to escape the bullets will never be able to escape the shame //

You carry around a picture of the angel who awakened a love you had never known /
Behind blue eyes are the tear-streaked prayers of "God please bring my daddy home." //

The promise land across which you march so far has promised only sweltering heat /
Planes and bullets fly overhead and you collapse once more and face towards the east //

Close your eyes and click your heels and pray to the gods for their assistance divine /
For tomorrow you have a rendezvous with death near some disputed imaginary line //

Buried in the sands of war’s immortal hourglass awaiting some profound revelation /
Though flesh may evade this forsaken desert, here the soul shall be forever stationed //