Epitaphs and Clichés This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

I am a writer of epitaphs and clichés love songs,
My fingers are covered with ink and my body with bruises.
Look past my first impression and I can be your sundress bride and you my pinstriped lover.

My voice may not be beautiful, but it’s all that I have,
And the butterflies don’t flock to my outstretched fingers.
Look past my crooked smile,
And we can be a vision in tie-dye and high-top sneakers.

I know I’m imperfect, and not even in the way that you like,
My shoes don’t click right and my eyes rarely close.
Look past my blood-rimmed fingernails,
And we can sit on the street corner and play the guitar.

I am an omen of awkward moments and broken pencils,
The grass I walk through never grows as quickly.
Look past my out-of-place laughter,
And we can be the reason the other opens his windows.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the July 2008 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It was your title that caught my attention, but it was your words that made me stay:) I love the idea that the speaker considers herself imperfect and wants her significant other to see her as she is. It's like "here I am." Beautiful job~

mightierthanthesword said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 10:51 am:
Wow! This is really amazing!I wish I had your talent. I hate to bother you, but could you please check out my work? I would really appreciate your commentary.

BlueBubbles95 said...
I loved how it showed such emotion in so little words! Hope you write more.

WednesdayWrites said...
Amazing poem. I really like your use of words, description, and the quirky, somewhat dark, but always hopeful view displayed in this work.

JessieB said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm:
It was AMAZING. I lovvvveeeddd it (:

Pooja11 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 11:14 am:

Never seen a poem written from tht angle..details of a poetic reality. great job.

you have a queer way of describing which i think is very talented!
honestly..one of the best i've read so far

NotMuchToSay said...
May 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm:
That is amazing,

RedheadAtHeartThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 11:36 am:
...that's beautiful.

Kiyoko This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good. It's very... honest. It's hard to write really honest poetry, but this definitely is. I would really appreciate it if you would check out my writing and tell me what you think!

IWillDream54 said...
absolutely love this. I honestly dont know what else I can say, this is amazing.

reversingthetrends said...
you know when you read something and you just feel like the person has had the exact experiences and feelings you've had, i love it, way to go, seriously poetry can go either way and this is definitely fab.

GinryuStargazer said...
It's pieces like this that actually help to place faith back into teenage writing.

bluegirl440This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:29 am:
I have an "out of place" laugh as well.....   :)

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

"And the butterflies don't flock to my outstreched fingers".

I really liked this poem. <3

ellie75 said...
This is an amazing poem. Very powerful, and great imagery!

Shadow913 said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm:
You have fantastic imagery in every line. And I agree with the first person that commented; despite the title, this poem is not cliche at all. It's almost like a love story that you don't expect. Fabulous(: Don't stop writing.

TheAnonymousArtist said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm:

despite the title, this is probably the least cliched teen poem that ive seen on this site(thank god!) 

Great work. Love the imagery.

sharadyn said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm:
This was quite awesome.

kaates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm:
i love how you have vivid imagery in every line. it makes you pay attention and visualize the scene without it being over-the-top. well done!

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm glad it ended, cause now I can say "hey this is really good'- so here it goes. hey this is really good.