Being Free This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

We are no longer his slaves and our backs no longer ache.
Only thing we can see is the North, which makes us full of glee.
We pack our sacks in the middle of the night, whispering good-bye, shedding a tear for those so dear.

Oh, how could they not want to come?
To be free, see countries and have no boundaries.
Them poor souls, let's keep going.
Now is not the time to be uncertain, it is time to hurry and walk fast.

Panic chokes our throats as we stumble through the dark woods.
The moonlight streams through the thick forest of trees.
The crunching of leaves gets louder and the bark of dogs are heard, we are soon to be caught.
We are scared, sure, but we are not afraid.

We escape the enemy and escape to freedom.
However, challenges face us all around.
Some people stop and gaze at our shade while others, turn and walk away.
We do not care, we are proud of our black skin.

Schuyler said...
I love your poem i can't write any words for your poem but mind blowing. Your an amazing writer.

ShamaN replied...
Thank YOU!

Simonia12 said...
Wow!! I am Speechless. Such bold words , Keep them coming..

ninabina said...
Skywriter has done it again, such talent! I saw so much in this poem. An inspiration for us all.

Montanagirl said...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 10:42 am
:) Five stars. love it

Greg&mikey said...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 10:41 am
I really like this poem, as well as Life As A Tall Girl. Keep it up!

Claire34lover said...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 10:40 am
I really like this poem about courage, and loving yourself. 

Sky24 said...
The poem reflects inner courage and makes a statement to those around him/her. the group and/ or person escaped from something, and were proud of themselves. Teens that write pieces like this, are the ones we need more often in our world. 

King replied...
Yes I agree. 

King said...
A great piece indeed. Poetry must paint a picture, I confess it brought me back to that time. 

Andria said...
This poem is so simple yet powerful... brilliant. 

Dwight said...

Maggie,

It is not just about the slave experience, although one reading it were automatically brought back to that time period. However, as we know from skywriter's last piece, her work is never one thing. I think what the writer was trying to do was create a freedom poem piece, it was simply about a group of people and their escape to freedom. She used a popular subject to make it clear to us. Simply divine. 

Maggie replied...

Dwight,

There is no argument here, I can see it is a freedom piece, however I was simply relating to it. One can bring their own thoughts into it and say how this piece means this or that, I think the writer wanted us to relate to it in anyways possible. It isn't just about a group being a free, it can be an individual too. The fact is, whoever was escaping to freedom, facing challenges were proud of themselves. Just like Life As A Tall Girl. Skywriter speaks of ins... (more »)

Maggie said...
I love it, especially written by a teen that can describe that experience so well.  

Kathy said...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 10:47 am
I really like it. 

Lisa said...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 10:42 am
I really like this poem, I agree with everyone this is prefect for black history month. 

girly2010 replied...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 10:49 am
LOLeveryone is saying that. Please be original. The poor girl is gonna kick us off her page. lol Yes, I love it! 

Harry said...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 10:41 am
Again, five stars. It is a simple black history month poem, prefect for the kids!

Bieberlover4evah said...
Sept. 5, 2010 at 10:42 am
WOW! shes great at describing things, lol my dad talks about history too

Michael said...
Another great piece of work, I like how she added that last line, we are proud of our black skin. i truly wasn't expecting that one. That was good, prefect for black history month too.