Homelessness This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My home can be

everywhere

or nowhere.

My daily meals

consist

of anything or

nothing.

My knick-knacks

and baubles

are the clothes

I

wear.

My money

is

only what

others

give me.

I am a being.

I am human.

I am homeless.

If only people

could see

where I stand.

and

help me

through

this all.

Will this loneliness

ever end?

Will I begin

a

new life?

Does

anyone

care?

Because

I

am here.

I

am

real.

I

cannot

be ignored.

I am a person.

I am alive.

And...

I am homeless. n

Amber4141610This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I thought this was beautiful. Anything from the heart that tells the truth cannot fail regardless of how many times a person may knock you down. This was amazing.

BeccaKoko replied...
btws, I wasnt knocking her down, I was critquing her poem. Any writer should be open to good feedback. (and fyi, constructional good feedback isn't "OMG that was BEAUTIFUL!!!" it's things that the writer can work on and make their work better)

BeccaKoko said...
I honestly have no clue how this made it into the magazine. This poem needs definite work. There was barely any feeling, it didn't flow at all and was as choppy as an ocean and as shallow as a puddle.

Beauty&theGEEK replied...
I totally agree. I have a friend, kate12345me, who contributes to this website and her work far outshines this. I think it was good, but really, it does not exactly belong in the mag. This was okay, I suppose, but it needs WORK. And on top of that, you should check out my friends work, because really, that is the stuff that deserves to be appreciated and acknowledged. Thanks, and I second BeccaKoko all the way. Love, Beauty&theGEEK

BeccaKoko replied...
haha yay someone has a taste for good work!!!! haha yah thanks for agreeing. I even think MY work could get in the magazine over this poem. guess not. could you give me your friend's user name so I could check her stuff out????

MarieAntoinette2012This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:04 am
That's just rude. There's no advice to help critique this. Critique means advice, not whining that your friend didn't get her work published, and not high fiving each other that you guys are both jealous.

writingriver05 replied...
Hey were all poets how would you like it if someone put up a comment like yours?

Daisysmile101 said...
i think this poem was really beautiful...it ment a lot to me because when i was little i was homeless and i didn't have no food.

Michaelseanchavez said...
Great poem. Many people experience this and for you to capture it all in one short poem is perfect!

abigailaaden This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful. I loved the message in this poem, no matter someone's situation or who looks down on them or how different they may seem - they are a human being and deserve the same love and respect as any one else. Really great!

Ella1 said...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:50 am
I love your poem! Would you mind reading some of my work if you get a chance?

otherpoet said...
This poem was a wonderful read. As a reader, I felt the anger at being ignored and overlooked, unwanted in the eyes of society. I will never judge another homeless person again. Thank you for your work! 

DeeplyShallow said...

Beautiful, the format is very maya angelou-esque! LOVE It

Dedicated Admirer said...

Dear Krista,

I wanted to write to tell you that today, in Southern California, during a government summit on Homelessness, your poem was read by the Mayor of San Bernardino as part of his introduction to today's topic. The audience was sooo affected by it, that even the State Assemblywoman and local Board of Supervisor Chair, elected to abandon their speeches - and merely focus on the essence of your message in this poem. Many were visibly teary-eyed.

As a former English teache... (more »)

can_you_keep_a_secret said...
i didn't find any feeling in it. To be honest. 

Tremendous replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:30 am
I agree with you. No emotions are being evoked. It reads bland, flat and dull.

BeccaKoko replied...
I agree! So shallow.

writingriver05 replied...
you know what this is just rude you shouldnt have the right to go around saying that this poem is shallow that poem is bad and so  on and so on i mean how would you like it if someone posted a comment about your poems saying it was shallow and lacked meaning

AEMarcher2395 said...

I really like this, its great..! Has a very strong meaning and is very well written.. =]

Check out my page sometime if anyone has the chance and let me know what you think.. Thanks

RaenFeatherstone said...
Wow. This is a very deep poem with a powerful meaning. Love it!

Gingersnap777 said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:52 am
I really think the structure of your poem suits your subject matter very well.  Your portrayal of the arbitrary-ness of availabiliy of homes, money, food, etc. was perfect: you brought across the uncertainty of it all so well.  I loved it!  Great job.