Bicycle | Teen Ink

Bicycle

By amrwrites BRONZE, Racine, Wisconsin
amrwrites BRONZE, Racine, Wisconsin

Keep on soaring little sleeper.

Bicycle

The sand on your road is restless. It is windy out, and my watch says 4:30 A.M. The creaking bicycle I sit on stirs, shivers. There is candlelight flickering through the window, and when I close my eyes I still see light. The night sky is fading into the sun, a dripping watercolor painting on my fingertips.

I called you, I stood up off of my bicycle like an animal split in two, and I felt my knuckles softly hit your door. I hear you singing still as I ride miles away, wheels pressing onto the cool sand, too far away to be yours.

I wrote this in July as a metaphor about moving on from a relationship or something that you once loved. In the beginning I talk about sand, and I also do at the end. When I said, "too far away to be yours", I meant that the sand wasn't their territory. This wasn't literally talking about the sand, it was another metaphor. Then when I thought about it, you can interpret it as "I" am too far away to be "yours", or the sand is. I think it's pretty interesting how that worked out.