Celestial Catch | Teen Ink

Celestial Catch

March 11, 2024
By 4dobbertin PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
4dobbertin PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
24 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the vast cosmos, long before life, where the stars drifted aimlessly in orbit, there existed a dilemma. The planets and stars found themselves trapped in an endless cycle of boredom; it was like a black hole was sucking the excitement and joy out of them.


One historic day, as the planets were floating around and gazing at the stars, a daring idea popped into one of their heads that would change everything. “Why don't we play a little game?” said Venus, and one by one the planets formed into a circle in the emptiness of space.


Now, with all the planets in a circle, they all wondered what game was possible in space. Then Venus gazed at the stars, and all of the planets followed. The shimmering light from the stars lit up a strange feeling in all the planets—excitement.


With the excitement radiating from their bodies, they came up with a mischievous plan to play catch with the stars, tossing them back and forth throughout space.


So, the planets began their game, hurling the stars with all their might, laughing as they watched the fiery comets light up the sky. For a moment in time, the universe was filled with joy and laughter, as the planets found their cure for boredom.


As the game went on, a concern was sparked from the stars. They began to feel tired of being thrown back and forth, their fire dimming with each toss. The planets, oblivious to the concerns of the stars, continued their reckless game without a care in the world.


As time passed, the planets began to notice the stars’ light fading. In their amusement, they had brought suffering to the stars. The planets were ashamed of themselves, so they all gathered together and answered the big question, “What can we do to make things right?” 


The first thing that the planets did was immediately stop their cruel game, and as the planets were coming up with an apology, they heard a gentle voice in the emptiness of space. The voice was coming from one of the dimmed stars. Despite the star's darkness and exhaustion, it was brave enough to talk to the planets. “I forgive you,” said all of the stars simultaneously. This phrase engulfed the planets with warmth and joy.


And so, the planets and the stars willingly agreed that whenever they were bored, they would be willing to play a game of catch with one another. From that day on, the emptiness of space was filled with shooting stars and the joyous laughter of all the celestial bodies in the universe playing celestial catch.