’Neath the Olde Green Pine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The men in redcoats came o'er the hill
All dressed up and ready to kill
Their buttons were all agleam and shine
And they came marching –
Marching – marching
'neath the olde green pine

When all of a sudden with a great loud BANG!
A musket ball broke up the proud red gang
A man was struck in the thigh
And men went running –
Running – running
And young men died under the milky blue sky

When at last the reds called “Retreat!”
The Americans cheered at their great feat
Weeping and crying for the dead
The men went searching –
Searching – searching
For friends, but found naught but the image in their head

So ended that bloody day
With blood splattered across the hay
And women crying over men who had been fine
They were weeping –
Weeping – weeping
'neath the olde green pine

Sierra Sam said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 4:18 am
Nice flowin' prose, what's with the scrawny tree, though? I got an old green pine or two I could post, if y'all need it.

adrian m replied...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 11:11 am
Funny you say that. i was wondering the same thing just this second. it's never showed up before now.

JERRYONE said...
Jan. 29, 2010 at 7:17 am
PRETTY GOOD FOR EIGHT GRADER WHO ALSO HAS ENGLISH,SCOTISH AND DANIEL BOONE HERITAGE

The Capt. said...
Incredible writing for one so young. He really manages to catch the emotions and pathos of that critical moment in our nation's history.

Heidi said...
Great poem! Really sad, but elegantly written. I like how the patriotism and glory is contrasted with the pain and grief.

Jordan said...
haha..this is so cool, how did you wrote a poem like this? Honestly i dont understand what does it mean BUT i kinda understand in somehow. Nice poem Adrian M..keep it up! can you try to write a poem about LOVE ♥?...

Adrian Monroe replied...
I believe you gotta actually experience something or have a good idea what something is like to write about it so seeing as I've never been in love then probably not. I could right one it just wouldn't be any good.

Jordan replied...
Jan. 29, 2010 at 1:55 am
Well, just try, it doesn't hurt to try something different right? yea i guess you got it right i actually had a not really good experience about love,(probably because guys are so insensitive?) my bad :/ but try it i know you can do it too, i believe in you.