My Dear

I loved you, my dear
For you yet loved me
Though reproach tore us farther apart

We competed, my dear
In school and in sport
Though you envied me, turned me away

We were perfect, my dear
A match meets a match
Though publicly ‘twas never quite true

I showed you, my dear
My love, my sweet love
Though ‘gainst instinct you ruined our bond

Ne’er more, my dear
Shall we love as we did
Gone are those days, so alas

dreamer_believer said...
Apr. 13, 2010 at 10:21 am
 love it!! :) i like the idea of adding "my dear" and repeating that. it gives it a nice flow and kinda adds a personal twist :) it's a really great piece!! kudos :) 5 stars. would you mind checking out some of my work?

Rosalie said...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 5:52 am
i love this!

EdytD said...
Great! I love the repetition of "my dear" in this poem, it made it very fluid. It's very neat - I haven't seen many poems written in this style. Nice job!

Lonleydandy said...
Wow, I really like this poem! [Thanks by the way for commenting on my poem "A Fantasy," If I may ask for you to look at some others!] Love the poem!! Keep writing

Abigail_W said...
Pinkvolleyballgirl, thanks for commenting on this and my other poem, Dinner of Dreams. Haha, I assure you that when I was commenting on The World We Live In, I was not just "pretending to care, to understand." I mean, I wasn't just commenting to get you to comment on this. And thanks for the advice on my other poem, I'll think about how to make it longer. : )

xXxFallingTearsxXx said...
Jul. 2, 2009 at 5:34 am
amazing poem!!! you are a beautiful poet :)

pinkvolleyballgirl said...
Hey abigail!
You commented on the piece i wrote called the world we live in. thanks so much for giving your opinion. Anyway, you were talking about incorporating honesty and feeling into writing. I think you did a really great job. The very best way to achieve it is to merely write from your heart. Keep it up:)

Nancy said...
This is an awesome poem, Abigail. It is beautiful!