American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

so this is where all the dreaming takes me
to a cold, empty reality
with sleep still in my eyes
shivering, confused, I must’ve overslept
now it’s time to wake up
one last yawn, then face the lies
I’m barefoot and the streets are rough
paved with broken glass
but that’s okay
’cause the land is flowing
with milk and honey
bread and butter
and justice
if you just keep on going ...

crisscross said...
i think that this poem is great sometimes poems have jsut the true meaning to its author he may see it differently then us trying to figure out its point and the endless opportunities to it is the fun of poetry it never has to ahve a point to me it talks about life has its rough starts but when you get going it becomes easier either that or his dream applies to it all and his dream is him thinking life is full of bread and butter but truly its a wicked place idk really its all the author who tru... (more »)

JordanBlue said...
It is a little inconsistent. I don't really get, I can't get to that deeper point. I am trying to contemplate what is means exactly, can't quite pinpoint it.

myworld10 replied...
same with me. i thought it was only me: i kind of get it, but it leaves me still wondering what it exactly what it means or what the author is trying to explain what it means to him/her. but i still like the poem though.

krisssss This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The poem is good, but the point is inconsistent. I love this poem alot though, so please keep writing!

cole said...
I like this poem aesthetically. But I agree with the tone of the first half much more than the second half. And I think it would benefit from some lines that might convince the reader that the land really does still have milk, honey, and justice. Personally, I don't see it, so the poem doesn't ring true.

Escape said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 8:36 am
I definitely love the alertness in the poem, the main point is sort of fuzzy at first but then driven home to where the American Dream lies. I love it. Wonderful work.

bmmsjc said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:11 am
it's a great poem

Lay16 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:56 am
this is wonderful!

Thrush said...
This poem is full of the dream of everyone, the dream that sometimes we don't even know we're dreaming, for happiness and survival, very true, very powerful.

Holmes said...
Do you think you can take a look at some of my work and give me some creative critisism?

Holmes said...
i love this poem. very intense.

caughtinaxm0ment said...
"one last yawn, then face the lies"
-i love that line(:

imaginewhirrledpeas said...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:37 am
This wonderful, I love the sense of bitter hopefullness :)
and the subtle irony

Cfaith2 said...
i really love the way you wrote this, your imagery is lovely- bravo

sarahmarie said...
very uplifting. i like how it's written. a lot.

SweetHeart_707 said...
I love the scattered thoughts and you have wonderful imagery, as *SWEETS* also said. This was very well written, it's very true.

Coolbreezejr said...
This is a great poem. It has a very deep meaning to it........... again good job

*SWEETS* said...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 11:19 am
This is okay.. spend more time with it.
good imagery

Schubster said...
i love the rhythm and flow here. Very nice job. check out my work?

Poet_in_Motion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful. I love it.