American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

so this is where all the dreaming takes me
to a cold, empty reality
with sleep still in my eyes
shivering, confused, I must’ve overslept
now it’s time to wake up
one last yawn, then face the lies
I’m barefoot and the streets are rough
paved with broken glass
but that’s okay
’cause the land is flowing
with milk and honey
bread and butter
and justice
if you just keep on going ...

Arco_Sine said...
As a writer you want to have meaning and not just everyday laundry meaning, real meaning. Have a unique reason to write. If you want to say pretty things, that's good for yourself. But the world needs purpose.

Shmelmo said...
This is really good. Awesome job!! Keep it up!

RanaHewezi1998 said...
wow dat is amazing

stormblade85 said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 4:49 am
Good job on the poem. It's great, and the imagery is simple, but effective. For that, I give you five stars. :)

ExpRESsY0uRselF said...
WOW...5 stars all the way! :) This poem was amazingggg! I loved it so much! Also, if anyone has time, please check out and comment on my poem, The Girl Inside...THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

Napoleon Gouzeshi replied...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 10:42 am
Follow your course.let others to say.

ExpRESsY0uRse1F replied...

????????

bookwormjunkie said...
i liked it, but i really didnt understand it. must've been that im too young to really comprehend it[going to 8th grade]but yea. ITS REALLY GOOD NEVERLESS!!XD

purplelessskin replied...
it's about immigrants coming to america in search of the "american dream" of prosperity and justice for all but finding a much harsher reality.

bookwormjunkie replied...
OHH

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 6:44 am

i liked it

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 20, 2011 at 2:37 am
I love it. 

reblep said...
<3 love it!

PerfectMGymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i loved this!! and it was so nicely written!! :)

Courtttt said...
I loved it :) made me really reflect! i'm sort of a dark-poem kinda person, and i liked the line "one last yawn, then face the lies." greatt! :)

lala15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
speechless

jelyann s. said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 1:32 am
The “American Dream” has many tenets, one of which is <a title="Skeptics doubt worth of homeownership as investment" http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2011/03/21/homeownership-skeptics/">homeownership</a>. A growing number of well qualified experts are starting to openly and notoriously challenge home ownership as an investment, as they assert it doesn't hold up to scrutiny as a severe investment. There's a mounting body of evidence the doubters are right.

cutiepie said...
Thats exactly how I feel when I've just woken up from a really great dream. It's like you think your in that world but your not and when you finally realize that it's like ugh!! back to reality and my messed up life. plus you really wish you could fall back asleep and go into your dream again but you can't so you just keep on going and try to make the best of everything. that was really well written and great job- :)

XxHeavenlyxTouchxX said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:44 am
I honestly think you could help me with my work I'm kinda new to this poetry thing. But I find  myself liking it more and more each day...

smilesunshine said...
This is really good. It makes me think of the homeless people. Which is sad, but it's touching. I like it! Good job! :)