Music-box Ballerina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She stands inside her music box,
She dances for all to see,
But the one thing they don’t notice -
She’s longing to be free.

Thin and gentle, delicate and small,
Her perfection makes them sigh,
She shows them all a smile so bright,
But inside she wants to cry.

Trapped in her box, nowhere to go.
She hasn’t got a choice,
All she longs for is to get out,
But her pain hasn’t got a voice.

Her arms are growing weary -
From holding the perfect pose,
Her body’s getting tired -
From standing on her toes.

Inside herself she’s screaming,
To make them stop the show,
She’s tired from performing -
But they can never know.

She stands inside her music box,
She performs for all to see,
A break is all she’s asking for,
But wait ... that dancer’s ... me.

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 9 at 12:04 pm
This is just absolutely, beautiful. So, descriptive and just so true. I can connect to it, a lot; I'm also a dancer or ballerina. I've actually been wanting to find a poem about this, and now I've found it. I don't when this was, but congarts on having this published! You deserve it. :) You have such a talent and greatness in you, and you are a wonderful writer and person. Thank you so much, for sharing this. :)

AlexandraL said...
Apr. 4 at 8:16 pm
So sad and I can really visualize it.

Laugh_Live_WriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 5:49 pm
I really like this poem. That last line is great!

TCP Killer said...
Apr. 4 at 10:11 am
this is just like my life

Claire_AThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
What a heartfelt and well-spoken poem.  I really felt a connection to your poem and the metaphor you converyed.  Wonderful job on a wonderful piece.

HopeIsWhatWeCrave said...
Sept. 27, 2012 at 1:54 am
That is such a great poem! I am a dancer, and totally picture myself as the ballerina. Sometimes you just want to stop it all...

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is really interesting