the Plains of Memory

Beat, beat, beat of the drums,
Stomp,stomp,stomp of the mocasins,
Yell, yell, yell of the voices,
Howl, howl, howl of the wolves,
Crackle, crackle, hiss of the fire.

A dance of memories
Of my ancestor's lives,
Of the Cherokee warriors,
Moves through my waking dreams,
Reminding me who I am.

I dance to the Beat of the Past Drums,
Count to the Stomp of the Warrior's Dance,
Yell with the Song of the Memories fair,
Howl with the Wolves of the Frozen Peaks,
And Rejoyce in the Light of the Fire.

I run through the past
To the tribes of glory and grace;
I run with the stallions and
With the dogs of the hunt;
I run free in the Plains of Memory.

Wolfayne said...
Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:14 am
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

amyxu said...
This is a lovely poem. At first I wasn't sure about the "crackle crackle hiss" because previously in that stanza you repeated the same word three times. But on second thought, I like the way that "hiss" breaks the rhythm. It pulls the reader into a strange new world and makes her want to read on. Nice work with this one :)

Wolfayne said...
I pt the howls on there to keep a beat to the poem. Beleive me, I love wolves, and I know it was awkward. But I think it kinda fits.

Thanx both of you for reading this.

Blue-eyed_Hippy-chick said...
I like it alot. The repetition of it is almost like a chant. The only part that seems awkward is "howl howl howl" it just doesn't sound like a wolf. Sorry but I hear them alot and other dogs howling so it doesn't fit. The way that it makes them seem and what i hear.

Meagan:] said...
This is a really unique amazing poem. I liked the repitition as well and enjoyed the story that you tell. I hope you write more poems! :)

SamanthaS said...
I love this one. It reminds me of the Cherokee Blood that runs through my veins. After that I want to go run through the plains and hunt with dogs and dance around the fire. You are indeed my favorite!

Wolfayne said...
Thanx! That's what I was aiming for.

EdytD said...
I actually really like this a lot. I think it's really neat, and I haven't read a poem like this before. Great repetition - it almost makes the reader hear the stomping.

Wolfayne said...
Yay! I'm someone's favorite! And all I did was put what I ussaually think into words....*grins*
I'm glad you read this. My heritage is one of my favorite things about me, and I was happy to be able to finally put it into words and show it to the world.