Walking: A Lost Cause | Teen Ink

Walking: A Lost Cause

Walking. It represents freedom. Since the beginning of time, humans have used walking as a way of life. It helped us fight, helped us travel, and most of all made us survive. But could this age-old tradition be fading faster than you think? Since the 1980’s the number of people who choose driving over walking has almost doubled in size. If this trend continues, humans will take a turn for the worse, but you can help it. People need to walk and continue walking because it benefits mental, physical, and emotional health.

First, people need to continue walking because it benefits their mental health. Mark Sisson, an online article author who studied ancient humans, said that, “walking represents freedom among humans” (Mark’s Apple). In short, when people walk, it physiologically makes the person feel free. Therefore, people need to walk to benefit their mind. A study from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that “women, who took walks in the morning were less likely to have insomnia during the night than women who didn’t walk” (Arthritis Foundation). As one can see, walking benefits mentally by helping people with sleep, so people need to continue to walking because it will help mental health. According to Sophia Breene, “walking regularly can help decrease physical and mental stress. Walking also increases concentrations of body chemicals that can control the brain’s response to stress” (Breene). Altogether, walking benefits mentally by helping manage stress, and people need to continue walking because of this. All in all, people need to continue walking because it benefits their mental health.

Next, people need to continue walking because it benefits their physical health. According to the Arthritis Foundation, “walking daily restores the human body’s agility and keeps the body structure healthy” (Arthritis Foundation). Overall, people need to walk, because if they do not, their bodies will not be as strong and quick. According to the Arthritis Foundation, “Walking can strengthen humans’ leg, abdominal, and even arm muscles. Walking regularly can also increase one’s range of motion and helps to lessen arthritis pain” (Arthritis Foundation). As one can see, walking benefits physically by strengthening body muscles and if people do not walk, their muscles wouldn't be as strong. According to Michael A. Schwartz, MD, of Plancher Orthopedics & Sports Medicine in New York, “walking can stop the loss of bone mass for those with osteoporosis, and walking daily can reduce risk of hip fractures by 40 percent” (Arthritis Foundation). Clearly, walking benefits physically by strengthening bones. People need to continue walking to keep bone structure healthy. To summarize, people need to continue walking because it benefits their physical health.

In addition, people need to continue walking because it benefits their emotional health. Sophia Breene states that, “walking regularly can create new brain cells and improve overall brain performance” (Breene). To put into simpler words, walking benefits emotionally by boosting brain energy. And, if people do not walk than our minds wouldn’t be as healthy. “A California State University, Long Beach, study showed that “the more people walked during the day, the better their moods were” (Arthritis Foundation). As one can see, walking benefits emotionally by putting people into a better mood, and people need to continue walking in spite of this. According to Sophia Breene, “ Walking releases endorphins, which create feelings of happiness and euphoria. Studies have shown that walking can help to treat and sometimes even cure depression” (Breene). Overall, walking benefits emotionally by making people happier and emotionally healthy, so if people stop walking there would be a lot more people facing depression and sadness. Overall, people need to continue walking because it benefits their emotional health.

Some people might say that more people are choosing cars over walking and soon people are going to stop walking whether we like it or not. According to The National Household Travel Survey, “the number of car trips a person took and the miles they traveled per day rose significantly from 1969 to 2001” (The National Household Travel Survey). As more time passes, more people are choosing cars over walking. Even though it is true that more people every day are choosing cars over walking, what this statement does not mention is that humans need to continue walking. If people don’t walk, our bones and joints will become stiff and weak due to the lack of oxygen movement (Arthritis Foundation). Also, walking regularly can improve circulation, which would fight off diseases, strengthens the heart and drops the chances of having a stroke (Arthritis Foundation). All in all, people need to continue walking because it improves circulation, and strengthens bones and joints. As one can clearly see, people need to walk because of all of the benefits to the human body.

As aforementioned, walking is slowly becoming a lost cause and we have the power to stop it. If people walk regularly it can benefit them mentally, physically, and emotionally. If people continue to reject walking, the world is headed down a dangerous path, but you have the power to stop it. If everyone continues to walk and sometimes instead of driving a car just walk it, then the world could be so much better. All in all, people need to continue to walk for the benefit of the whole human race.

Works Cited
"12 Benefits of Walking." Walking Program. Arthritis Foundation National Office, 15 Dec. 2011.
Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

Vanderbilt, Tom. "The Crisis in American Walking: We Don’t." Slate Magazine. The Slate Group, 10 Apr. 2012. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

Sullivan, Robert. "The City That Never Walks." The New York Times. The New York Times, 28
Jan. 2007. Web. 22 Apr. 2016.

"Why You Have to Walk Everyday | Mark's Daily Apple." Mark’s Daily Apple RSS. Mark's Daily
Apple, 18 Sept. 2014. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

"13 Mental Health Benefits Of Exercise." Every Body Walk. Kaiser Permanente, 27 Mar. 2013.
Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

This topic interested me because my family and I think that exercise and keeping your body healthy is very important.