And the Winner Is... | Teen Ink

And the Winner Is...

April 27, 2016
By #DV23 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
#DV23 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

On March 11, 2014, two hockey teams were competing to win a championship. The two teams were tied at a score of 1-1 and went in seven overtimes. After the seventh overtime, state officials declared both teams as co-winners. Both the parents and the hockey players were furious with the state officials. These were high school players that were co-winners?! The real question is, does a championship game need to have a winner and a loser? The answer is yes.


Nobody wants to share a win with another team. Championships are meant to have a winner and a loser. When I was a little boy, I used to play wiffle ball. Not one game had a winner. All the coaches did was give us a participation award. We didn’t even have a championship game. They just said that everybody wins. It really angered me when they gave them out to me when I was little. This is because I feel that there is no value in the award.


When I was little, my parents taught us the concept of winning and how important it is. When my friends and I won a game a little later on, we would be very excited. We knew we had earned that award this time. When I lost, I was angry and lost confidence in the game and myself. Winning gave me a sense of pride according to the Psychology Today. The article also said that winning, to some kids, can be bad. They may taunt, brag, or boast. It also said that kids who are losing may refuse to play, throw things or insist do-overs. As I got older, losing became easier to handle. I realized from competition that it was important to have teamwork, respect for others and follow the rules to the game. Winning isn't everything, it is only a part of the game.