Dream Season 2015 | Teen Ink

Dream Season 2015

January 4, 2016
By FSCatch10 BRONZE, Fort Scott, Kansas
FSCatch10 BRONZE, Fort Scott, Kansas
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't practice until you get it perfect, practice until you don't get it wrong.
Aim for the moon, even if you miss you will land among the stars.


The first week of October, I went hunting with my dad, Doug.  It was my first time to go deer hunting with a bow.  Right before sundown a spike comes in, and I am telling my dad that I don’t want to shoot it, that I want to let it grow.  After about five minutes it goes behind us and this mature eight pointer with some stickers comes out.  It seems like this is the biggest deer I had ever seen.  He walks behind my tree and comes around the other side giving me a chance to shoot.  After a misjudgment of distance, I shoot under the deer.  As Dad and I continue to hunt hard through October into the first week of November we had some close encounters and almost harvested some deer.  The night of November 6, 2015, my dad shoots the same buck that I missed.  I was so mad I stomped out of my dad’s shop and didn’t want to talk to him.  On the morning of November 7, 2015, my dad and I went out and sat in a ladder stand.  A nice 125 inch eight pointer came in, and I was just waiting for an opportunity to shoot the deer, but it never presented itself.  That evening Dad and I went out early to hang another stand and then to hunt.  My dad had put a decoy out and we had just finished unpacking our gear when a doe showed up with a spike following.  Before long, a big mature buck showed up and started chasing the doe through the timber as Dad and I settle into our stands. Soon, another doe with a buck chasing her come out and run around the decoy a few times. Then the same doe and buck from earlier come out and he chases her around the field it seemed like 10 times. It is about five minutes after that and a pair of twins, a button buck and a doe, come out to investigate the decoy. The sun is staring to set when at the fence line and dad sees a pair of antlers moving around. He gets his rattling horns out and begins to call to the buck. As it approaches he said it is the same 8 point from that morning. It disappears behind a downed hedge tree and for a couple moments. Dad grunts a couple times and the buck that had been chasing does around us appears at 50 yards and it coming in on a string.  The deer comes from the backside of the decoy and dad tells me to draw my bow and settle my pin, after I do this the buck just about licks the decoy’s butt and I decide to take the shot. After climbing down and gathering our stuff we took time to review the video footage and shot placement. Dad decided it would be best if we back out and give the buck a couple hours to expire and to review the shot on a large tv. After a couple hours and a few phone calls group of my family and friends came out to help me look for my deer. We looked for what seemed like hours for him. It was getting cold and late so we marked last blood and decided to meet at my uncle’s house the next morning. So we get to our marker and go separate directions my uncle and I go one way and Dad, Grandpa, and Scott went another way, after about ten minutes my uncle and I found him. He was a mature thick horned ten-point buck. This was my first whitetail deer shot with a bow. There were a lot of high fives, hugs and tears  shed that morning. I have now decided that I don’t want to hunt with anything other than a bow.