My Favorite Place | Teen Ink

My Favorite Place

By Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other
Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other

The modern world is too fast. Everything is processed too quickly. Have you ever thought of doing things more slowly?

Nowadays, all people know is “speed up more to do more things.“ Life is short. It is true that saving time is important. However, it is also because of this that people needs to slow down. Slowing down lets people calm and think properly to do things. To me, my place to do that is in the bathroom at home. It may seem weird, but it is the only place for me to rest, relax, and think straight.

First off, everyone knows that bathroom is a place for people to rest and release body wastes. Yet, as technology develops, places for these functions are gradually ignored and being seen as “unimportant” business. Students hurry to their arranged “class times” while adults hurry to arranged “work times”. Now people don’t think of bathrooms and sometimes even forgets to go to them. Unlike those people, sometimes I look forward to going to bathroom, not because I am disgusting but the fact I think it is such an ideal place to rest up my body. Having so many things jammed up in my body tires out my body. Unknowingly, my immune systems fail and I get all kinds of diseases. However the same time I am using the bathroom, I feel my joints and muscle relax from tension significantly. This recharge me for the next activity for me to attend.

Also, aside from resting my body physically, being in the bathroom relaxes my soul mentally, too. As I get into higher grades, my homework increases. Recently, in the ninth grade, the amount of homework and tests differed a lot. As a result, pressure on us increased. Our bathroom is often quiet without much people. I enjoy the moments when I rest on top of the toilet. I can sing or shout all I want, to release what I’ve been holding in my heart in one go. This somehow makes me feel incredibly rejuvenated and ready for new stuff.

Most importantly, resting in my bathroom can clear my mind and help me think straight. Attending classes after classes tires a person off. If one think over things non-stop, they will literally lose their ability to think properly and make right decisions. Because of this, people needs time with nothing to do. During this time, I fill my mind with nothing and feel the environment. The buzzing sound of toilet, the dripping noise of water as they trickle down the water taps and faucets. It is those simple sounds that sends a significant sensation through my body and clear my senses like a pond. Afterwards, my thinking becomes clear. I would be able to concentrate during classes for another few more hours.

Free off time, worries, society, and pressure. That’s what my bathroom can give me. It is the only place I can truly be alone, quiet, to think. I can rest both physically and mentally, and also think straight. Because of this, my bathroom is easily my favorite place in the world. A place that provides recharge to my energy and let me work for a few more hours.