This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By Austen Weeks BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
Austen Weeks BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska

I strongly believe that hunting is needed in this world to keep the balance between human and animal. You may think to yourself, hunting is just killing defenseless animals that have no chance, but that’s where I disagree. As humans, we are at the top of the food chain and I believe we need to keep it that way. If we don’t hunt certain animals they will over populate the world we live in and we will no longer be the dominant force on this earth. Animal rights activists have every right to depict hunting as wrong, but in the end hunters will still hunt as long as it is legal.

Hunting is a basis of keeping the world in check. If we don’t hunt then we no longer are at the top of the food chain. If that is to happen, we will soon become the hunted and I promise, in that type of world, even animal rights activists will understand why hunting is so important to the human race. It’s more than just going out to hunt and kill harmless animals. It’s feeding families and keeping the balance. Hunting is a way of life and survival. If the power on earth was to go out, then we would have no other food source then nonperishable items and animal meat. I think it’s important for everyone to know how to hunt so if they get put in a situation where their only way of survival is hunting, they could do it without contest.

My sister is a prime example of someone who doesn’t understand the purpose and importance of hunting. Every time my Dad and I go on a hunting trip she freaks out saying they don’t deserve to be killed they didn’t do anything to you. And that’s the problem that most people don’t understand. It’s not what they have done to us it’s what they will do to us if we don’t hunt them. My sister will eat a juicy steak but still contest to our hunting. I believe that this is a problem that our society has and they need to get over the killing animals part of hunting and think about the keeping the human race safe and well nourished.

If hunters could just miss three hunting seasons, it would show the world how overpopulated it will be if we don’t hunt. We will be the minority amongst animals and that is not a good place to be. They will soon take over and they will be the top of the food chain eating us for dinner. The whole point I make in this is hunting needs to be part of this world or we won’t have our world anymore. It won’t be “ours”. We will be over run and there will be nothing to do but hunt. I firmly believe that in this world it is either hunt or be hunted.

We were required to write an article on something we believe in and i'm a very avid hunter and wanted to spread the importance of hunting.