Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All!

Since 1998, J.K. Rowling has captured the hearts of millions with her incredible Harry Potter series. For nearly a decade, each of her seven books have left the reader anticipating the next adventure; but, for some reason, even some of the most fanatic Harry Potter fans have sunk their teeth into Stephanie Meyer’s best-selling Twilight series, and have all but forgotten the magic their previously favorite series had brought them.
What is it about either of the series that has drawn so many fans, that causes them to immerse themselves in the many paged fantasy novels? For Harry Potter, the answer is complicated yet simple in its own way: the story is much more intriguing and well-thought out compared to the vampire love story that some claim to be the best all around.
What is so amazing about the Twilight series? Oh, just the fact that Meyers provides deliciously graphic adjectives and ten-page-long descriptions of how “gorgeous,” “perfect,” and yet incredibly “dangerous” dear Edward Cullen is. This and, of course, the tragically wonderful love story between Bella and her two true loves Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just looking at those words, anyone in their right mind would think it’s the type of
story that only silly, sentimental fools would read.
Harry Potter actually has a story, with a goal and developing plot that lasts our hero’s youth. He faces difficult times -- much more than just a lovesick dilemma -- and struggles with both insignificant and exceedingly crucial topics that all people face when growing up.
Harry has a love story as well; between the third and fifth books, he has a crush on Cho Chang, just like any other teenager. But J.K. Rowling reveals it in a different manner. Instead of going on about it, she merely hints it with Harry’s behavior around Cho, and occasionally talks about it. She also includes a lot of clever humor, so that the story is not focused on Harry’s far-off love, but rather on him and other characters. Plus, when it turns out that Cho is not the right one for him -- because normal guys are generally very uncomfortable around girls sobbing over their dead boyfriend -- he begins a crush on Ginny Weasley, but refuses to be with her for a long time because he is loyal to his best friend, Ron Weasley.
Besides that, the series has many different characters that affect Harry’s life in both good and bad ways. The Weasley’s are a second family to Harry, seeing that the Durseley’s treated him worst than a muddy dog around the immaculate house. Ron befriends Harry on the first day, and Mrs. Weasley is the mother he never had. And of course, there’s Hermione, who remains true to Harry even during the few times Ron begins to fade away. Then, there’s jovial Hagrid, wise Professor Dumbledore, and many other friends. Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, and other
Slytherins provide the list of Harry’s school enemies, and provide most of the plot, because realistically, a story is never a good story unless there are some “bad guys.”

Furthermore, Rowling’s humor is used to let the pages pass by quickly and sometimes even be used to mock something more serious. Fantasy is meant to be a metaphorical way of presenting a theme, idea, or opinion.
But most important of all, Rowling alludes to controversial topics, that Harry and his friends become involved in as the series goes on. The Ministry of Magic intervening in Hogwarts’ education in Order of the Phoenix is a huge example of government becoming so corrupt in their own power, it’ll do anything to save their reputation, as what the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, tries to keep Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore from telling the world that Lord Voldemort has returned. Also, the prejudice that Rowling describes between the pure-blood families and the muggle-borns (called “Mudbloods,” a derogatory term towards people like Hermione), and how people treated house-elves as no more than inferior servants that do not mind working hard all the time. These topics are highly significant, for it describes the class-warfare that goes on today, and what turncoats people can be, as the books describe Harry’s rises and falls from popularity at Hogwarts.
It is said by certain fans that Bella in Twilight is the more realistic heroine than Harry, perhaps because she doesn’t have magical powers. She also acts like any other troubled teenager who thinks she’s madly in love, but it is just an infatuation. Harry, at least, has flaws like any normal human being, while at the same time preserving the traditional traits of any other literary hero: he’s noble, brave, willing to face death when in danger, willing to save his friends, and tries to discover where he belongs.
Also, within the wizard series, there’s the question of creativity. How can anyone, who has read the series, think that Stephanie Meyer portrays a better example of fantasy? Last time anyone checked, there are no words within Twilight that are similar to “Wingardium Leviosa,” or “Hogwarts,” or even “Albus Dumbledore.” Not that anyone is judging against Stephanie Meyer’s lack of creativity, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there is nothing to compare when people go on about how Twilight is way better than Harry Potter.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 7:23 pm
OR you could read some actual literature, expand your reading horizons, and stop participating in this juvenile "whose book sucks the least" game. 

Bones96 said...
Feb. 2 at 12:26 pm
While I love the Harry Potter series and lothe the literary mess that is, Twilight. There are some points I'd like to make about your writing.  Your title for example. It says basically what you wrote in the artical. But it also shows right off it's one sided. That shows in the text too, you only point out the good in the Harry Potter series and the bad in Twilight. There isn't an angrument at least not a good one here.  What I read in the subtext was basically this: &quo... (more »)

FrancesTomlinson said...
Well, as the title says, Harry Potter Rules All.  Do not question the awesomeness of titles.  Harry is more down-to-earth, reasonable, and generally a better person than (ew, cringe time) EDWARD who SPARKLES in the SUN.....

LionsBlue said...
I agree! Harry Potter is way better than Twilight!

BeastlySage said...
Sorry, but I, with every fiber of my being, hate Twilight, and, with every fiber of my being, love Harry Potter. Also, as proof, I have Mark Reads Twilight(AKA a site everyone who finds Twilight just as good as Harry Potter should check out). It reveals the major flaws of the series, from the writing to racism and sexism.

Adardar said...
Though I like Harry potter more than twilight I do like twilight and I think that your description or twilight is wrong

Luckystar78 said...
I am so much agreement with this article - it's great, you really get the harry potter plot/main characters and if this was published then maybe the world would see how much better Harry Potter is than Twilight...it's tragic the way some people prefer a silly love story that turns out perfectly to a thrilling tale with actual literary talent...no offence to Stephenie Meyer or crazed twi-hard fans...

Aspiringauhor said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:54 am
I agree with the fact that HP is better, but it's also not neccessary to put down other people's writing so harshly. Stephenie Meyer is a good writer, she just writes about topics that many people see as silly. Love stories are not loved by all. Just pointing that out.

Supercake replied...
Jul. 17 at 10:54 am
After reading Harry Potter and Little Women, nobody can say that Stephenie Meyer is a good writer! She writes like a 10 year old! 

smarty pants said...
why so judgemental

Casey__Writer said...
Wow, why debate? I say the Harry potter books are better than the movies though!!

soccergoalie6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Harry Potter wins hands down. Nuff said.

Artemis--Sherwood said...
Harry Potter easily gets first place, i think. I love how in your article, you didn't make your reasoning a simple "Because I like it". You offered substantial proof that Harry Potter was a better story than Twilight. However, I will admit that I am being bias because I happen to be in love with the harry Potter series and don't really favor Twilight.

Bookworm1998 said...
AMEN! i can't put up an argument from both sides because i haven't bothered with Twilight becuz of my girl friends that have become obsessed with it (i'm like one of the only 5 girls that don't read the series in my grade). but Harry Potter really is amazing and i'm sad to see the series end. the movies are nothing compaired to the books with such amazing detail, but i'm still going to miss reading never-ending chapters and watching the never-ending movies

abnormal said...
Harry Potter all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archangel1410 said...

Harry Potter wins hands down.

ravneet said...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 12:56 am

n i first read twilight i liked it but a few weeks later i gave it a deep thought and realised that i had been a fool there was nothing in the book. i get it that when your loved one dumps you one feels sad, heartbroken and angry but no one goes to commit a suicide. bella is a weak person. edward is a control freak who feels that he can force bella to do anything by breathing over her. pathertic.. in breaking dawn in the end they let the voltuiri go and do not even fight because they did not ... (more »)

ianfrederick said...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 11:59 am
I really don't understand how you can compare the two stories. As much as I have enjoyed the movie interpretation of Harry Potter the story itself is, in my view rambling with points being made almost as fast as they disappear. Characters come and go like the wind, red herrings abound. I've never seen so many loose ends. Whereas twilight is tight and you always know where you are in the story. Seems Rowlings could have done visiting this website... http://writingforchildreninfo.com but then agai... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
How is it tight? Bella establishes very well in the first chapter that she is a liar. How can we trust what she's seeing? Characters come and go in Harry Potter because it's not like he lives in the boring town of Forks were there's hardly any people. He goes to Hogwarts, which has to accommodate wizard and witch children from many areas. Maybe it's just because I've grown up with the series and I can name almost every character and I've researched their stories, but I don't get confused by the... (more »)

bassclarinetist12 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:37 am

I love Harry Potter much more than Twilight. I have read most of each series multiple times each.

But I feel like the real plot of Twilight is being unrepresented here. The driving conflict of the whole novel is that Bella wants to become a vampire. Each novel, like in HP, there is a smaller storyline that ends up dragging Bella closer to an end. In Harry Potter the main conflict is ridding the world of Voldemort, yet each story also has a trial that Harry must endure in ... (more »)