Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All!

Since 1998, J.K. Rowling has captured the hearts of millions with her incredible Harry Potter series. For nearly a decade, each of her seven books have left the reader anticipating the next adventure; but, for some reason, even some of the most fanatic Harry Potter fans have sunk their teeth into Stephanie Meyer’s best-selling Twilight series, and have all but forgotten the magic their previously favorite series had brought them.
What is it about either of the series that has drawn so many fans, that causes them to immerse themselves in the many paged fantasy novels? For Harry Potter, the answer is complicated yet simple in its own way: the story is much more intriguing and well-thought out compared to the vampire love story that some claim to be the best all around.
What is so amazing about the Twilight series? Oh, just the fact that Meyers provides deliciously graphic adjectives and ten-page-long descriptions of how “gorgeous,” “perfect,” and yet incredibly “dangerous” dear Edward Cullen is. This and, of course, the tragically wonderful love story between Bella and her two true loves Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just looking at those words, anyone in their right mind would think it’s the type of
story that only silly, sentimental fools would read.
Harry Potter actually has a story, with a goal and developing plot that lasts our hero’s youth. He faces difficult times -- much more than just a lovesick dilemma -- and struggles with both insignificant and exceedingly crucial topics that all people face when growing up.
Harry has a love story as well; between the third and fifth books, he has a crush on Cho Chang, just like any other teenager. But J.K. Rowling reveals it in a different manner. Instead of going on about it, she merely hints it with Harry’s behavior around Cho, and occasionally talks about it. She also includes a lot of clever humor, so that the story is not focused on Harry’s far-off love, but rather on him and other characters. Plus, when it turns out that Cho is not the right one for him -- because normal guys are generally very uncomfortable around girls sobbing over their dead boyfriend -- he begins a crush on Ginny Weasley, but refuses to be with her for a long time because he is loyal to his best friend, Ron Weasley.
Besides that, the series has many different characters that affect Harry’s life in both good and bad ways. The Weasley’s are a second family to Harry, seeing that the Durseley’s treated him worst than a muddy dog around the immaculate house. Ron befriends Harry on the first day, and Mrs. Weasley is the mother he never had. And of course, there’s Hermione, who remains true to Harry even during the few times Ron begins to fade away. Then, there’s jovial Hagrid, wise Professor Dumbledore, and many other friends. Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, and other
Slytherins provide the list of Harry’s school enemies, and provide most of the plot, because realistically, a story is never a good story unless there are some “bad guys.”

Furthermore, Rowling’s humor is used to let the pages pass by quickly and sometimes even be used to mock something more serious. Fantasy is meant to be a metaphorical way of presenting a theme, idea, or opinion.
But most important of all, Rowling alludes to controversial topics, that Harry and his friends become involved in as the series goes on. The Ministry of Magic intervening in Hogwarts’ education in Order of the Phoenix is a huge example of government becoming so corrupt in their own power, it’ll do anything to save their reputation, as what the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, tries to keep Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore from telling the world that Lord Voldemort has returned. Also, the prejudice that Rowling describes between the pure-blood families and the muggle-borns (called “Mudbloods,” a derogatory term towards people like Hermione), and how people treated house-elves as no more than inferior servants that do not mind working hard all the time. These topics are highly significant, for it describes the class-warfare that goes on today, and what turncoats people can be, as the books describe Harry’s rises and falls from popularity at Hogwarts.
It is said by certain fans that Bella in Twilight is the more realistic heroine than Harry, perhaps because she doesn’t have magical powers. She also acts like any other troubled teenager who thinks she’s madly in love, but it is just an infatuation. Harry, at least, has flaws like any normal human being, while at the same time preserving the traditional traits of any other literary hero: he’s noble, brave, willing to face death when in danger, willing to save his friends, and tries to discover where he belongs.
Also, within the wizard series, there’s the question of creativity. How can anyone, who has read the series, think that Stephanie Meyer portrays a better example of fantasy? Last time anyone checked, there are no words within Twilight that are similar to “Wingardium Leviosa,” or “Hogwarts,” or even “Albus Dumbledore.” Not that anyone is judging against Stephanie Meyer’s lack of creativity, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there is nothing to compare when people go on about how Twilight is way better than Harry Potter.

sarahjanesinginrain said...
Amen. That's all i have to say. 

XxAnybodyxX replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm :
True that.

ReadingFanatic said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm:
Well said, I like how you got it through twilight fans THICK HEADS , that Harry Potter is better.

HeadshotM said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 4:35 am:
He who must not be named!!!!

daughter_of_athena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you, thank you for this review. I totally agree with you. Some people have been calling Stephenie Meyer "the next J.K. Rowling," but I don't think she can hold a candle to the universe that J.K. Rowling has created. Rowling's books relate a clear struggle between good and evil, which I think is a much more powerful message than a romance. The Harry Potter books will still be around long after Twilight has been forgotten.

phoenixqueen said...
Jan. 22, 2010 at 10:56 am:
I don't see why people have to be loyal to one or the other. I love Harry Potter and Twilight. I think that they are both fantastic books.

L.T.A replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:59 am :
I totally agree with phoenixqueen. But I also must say that I haven't read all of the Harry Potter books only the last few.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 7:38 pm :

gah!  sorry, but...*takes a deep breath*...how could you read the last ones without reading the first ones!!!!

okay, don't yelling, sorry, major fan here.  read the whole series beginning to end please.  there are little things that i pick up on every time, you gotta go from the beginning.  i'm not trying to bash on you, really.  okay, maybe a little, but that's just ....nvm

Kayley S. replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:03 am :
LTA? Phoenix Queen? Just a warning, but it is dangerous to say things like that here.

Brianna♥ replied...
May 12, 2012 at 10:54 am :
I agree! I love both series! I don't know why they need to be compared! The Hunger Games, Twilight, and Harry Potter shouldn't be compared! They are all good in their own way:)

PhoenixFeather62442 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:15 am:
I completely and totally agree with you! I hate it when "Twilighters" say that Harry Potter has no love story within it.... Have they not read HP and the Deathly Hallows and seen the love that Snape had for Lily?
How can anyone say that Bella is a better hero than Harry?? She is almost the definition of a damsel in distress. She's always trying to take advantage of Edward, and just because her boyfriend leaves, she has to go all suicidal on everyone. Oh yes, that makes her ... (more »)

titanicboy said...
I totally agree with starlingchild, harry potter is way better

titanicboy said...
I defintanly say that harry potter wins this war by a long shot

StarlingChild This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you so much for supporting me! I'm so sick of people getting pumped up about Twilight and totally dismissing Harry Potter. Besides, even without Harry Potter in the argument, Stephanie Meyer does not write great literature as a whole. I've read so many "teen romances" that do not involve vampires nor are in a series that are far more enjoyable than Twilight. Not to mention the countless other romantic classics people have forgotten. But anyway, Harry Potter definitely r... (more »)

InkDance replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm :
I agree with the fact that Harry Potter is infinitely better than Twilight, but I don't agree with the fact that Meyer doesn't write great literature. Although Twilight can be disappointing, anyone who's read her book the Host can agree that she can write literature very well. 

Jul. 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm :
I've never read the Host, and I probably won't, so I can't know, but I've read parts of the Twilgiht books and the writing just seemed so...sappy.  But it's good to know that she can write good stuff!

iamthesmartone said...
sorry about that unfortunate typo.

iamthesmartone said...
i stiil agree with the author, by the way fellow posters ,how many books have you even read?

StarlingChild This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm :
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

iamthesmartone said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 7:27 am:
This article is right on the nose, twilight has been given ill deserved praise and accolades for far to long, harry potter revitalized the publishing industry and gained massie attention for childrens literature. it honestly has a great deal more heart than twilight shall ever posses. furthemore J.K, Rowling has a far better writing style than mrs.meyer. rowling's imamgery and humour is timeless and trangressed all cultures. twilight has made it name by stating that its harry potter with se... (more »)

titanicboy replied...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm :
Totally agree. have you ever heard about the one when the vampire went to lunch? He said he was going to get a bite!!!