Golf is it a sport? | Teen Ink

Golf is it a sport?

By Natalie47 BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota
Natalie47 BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota

Is golf a sport?

Is golf a sport? A lot of people say that it is a sport, and a lot say that it isn't. A lot of people have different opinions on it. Most people think that its not athletic at all. Or if golf is an important sport or not. Also there are a lot of other sports that don't involve for you to be athletic. Like bowling, shuffleboard, curling, or even fishing. And their are a lot of people who fish, and say that it is a sport, it doesn't require you to be athletic at all.
A long time ago according to Mary Bellis, golf was invented during the fifthteenth century in Scotland, but according to Brett Zarda, King George II banned golf in Scotland in 1457. He was worried that everyone would be to distracted by playing golf to learn to develop archery skills, that they used them to protect Scotland from the English. According to Mary Bellis in 1774 Edinburgh, who was a golfer, wrote the first standardized rules for the game of golf. After 1750, golf evolved into the sport as we recognize it today.
Another Reason why we recognize it today is because of its appearance in the Olympics. Golf was only in the Summer Olympics for two years, 1900 and 1904. As the Summer Olympics of 1908 came around, the golf events were cancelled, because their wasn't enough international entries. There was also a conflict with the R&A. People also say that golf is a sport because its an international sport. And their are national competitions. According to procon.org proponents are saying that golf meets the definition of the word “sport”and not the word “game” like most people think. Golf requires physical exertion and physical coordination, and it is recognized as a sport by sporting goods, companies, fans, and media.
Golf also requires to be in good shape, although some people think that most people who play golf are old and fat. But you still need to be in good shape, but if you're playing for the fun of it you don't have to be in good shape, but if you play golf professionally. Some professional players walk the entire course. If you play golf and a caddie carries your golf bag around the course, you don't burn as much calories as you would while carrying your bag, walking a eighteen hole course. According to Will Tidey most sports require for you to have muscles and strength. Like golf you use seventeen muscles when you swing the golf club. Using the hands, wrist, arms, abdomen, and legs. And if someone is a professional golf player, you are required the athletic ability to walk a long distance. According to procon the Associated Press named golfer as the female athlete of the year twenty four times since the award had started in 1931.
In conclusion golf can be a really hard sport. You need to have strength in your arms, and need to know which direction your golf ball is going. And line up your golf club in the right direction to ball, to make sure the ball goes in the right direction. Golf also has a lot of competitions, and they are played all over the world, by a lot of people. I agree that it can be very boring to watch or play. But it does meet the definition of sport in the dictionary and it requires a lot physical and mental energy.