Bringing Back the Post | Teen Ink

Bringing Back the Post

January 13, 2014
By GOSPURS BRONZE, Safety Harbor, Florida
GOSPURS BRONZE, Safety Harbor, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bringing Back the Post





January 13, 2014

Over the last ten years I think the NBA game has changed a lot. I believe this is largely due to so many foreign players and how their style of play has changed the game. In 1992 there were only 21 international players in the NBA. Today foreign players make up 20% of the NBA. These players have brought their own style of play that has heavily influenced how pro basketball is played today…and there is a downside to it. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with foreign players in the league. They have brought great three point shooting to NBA basketball. This creates great excitement during the game and the crowd loves a good three pointer. However, their influence and the style of play in the game of basketball has all but done away with the low post scorer in the NBA.
Before the large influence of international players on the game, there were the huge bodies of Shaq, Wilt Chamberlain and Patrick Ewing. Those players put up great numbers in the games and put on some amazing shows. I remember Shaq when he played with the Orlando Magic; he broke the backboard two times in a two year span with his powerful dunks. My fear about the foreign players is that they will change the game completely into a jump shooting game. 7’2” centers are now parked behind the three point line shooting threes. Rarely when you turn on the TV do you see the ball being thrown down into the post for an easy dunk or layup. Now when you turn on the TV you see teams settling for jumpers. The three pointers are not as high a percentage shot as dishing the ball to the post for a higher percentage dunk or layup.
The influence of the foreign players jump shots and three pointers has made a tremendous impact on the game of basketball, but has totally changed the way centers play. My hope for the 2014 NBA season is that coaches will work with centers again and teach them how to dominate the post;show them how to use those huge bodies to drive right through the opponent and slam the ball in the basket for two. The way they forcefully use their size to drive into score needs to be put back into the game. The international influence on play is here to stay but there is room for both styles of play in the NBA and I think going old school and bringing back the post players will bring the game to another level. Threes are great, sure…but me…..I’d like to see a backboard shatter again.


The author's comments:
I play high school and aau basketball player and a huge fan of the game.....especially the Spurs.