Judo: A Waste of Time for Girls? | Teen Ink

Judo: A Waste of Time for Girls?

By Kayira1991 GOLD, Dhaka, Other
Kayira1991 GOLD, Dhaka, Other

I have miles to go before I sleep
If there is a will, there is a way
Nothing is impossible

" Why do you learn judo? It's so tomboyish" I am just tired of hearing this. Honestly, I just can't take it any more. I feel, judo is for everyone. You should know how to defend yourself. For example, when someone is trying to attack you, maybe a rival or an unknown mugger. I really don't get it why some friends tease me for judo. When a girl is in a threatening position, wouldn't it be cool if it she can save herself? Rather than being a damsel in distress, waiting for someone to rescue you.........

Once, a classmate told me I am just wasting my time, given that our exams are approaching. What about her listening to music and watching tv for hours? And times spent on chatting with friends online? I really don't think five classes a week is a waste of time. And I would very much like to be able to take care of myself, rather than being a damsel in distress.

" Judo is not for girls" - I am just tired of hearing this sexist phrase. And I am really not going to listen to people's advices on how I should try to be more girly.

Does it happen to you as well, friends? People trying to pull you back, trying to persuade you to give up a hobby you love?

I am really frustrated and I wrote this article to make myself calm. I also hope, the readers will never give up their hobbies just because a friend says to do that.

mplo said...
Good post, TheN3RDWAD. Thanks. I have a neighbor, a woman in her mid-70's, who knows I've taken Tae Kwon Do for a little bit over 7 years. On at least a couple of occasions, this neighbor has said to me, "I prefer to see you standing up and singing to seeing you do your Martial Arts." In response, I've said to her: "I don't give a s**t what your preferences are." My neighbor than responded, after my second response like that, " I can't be honest with you." I've said. "I can be honest with you, however. You need to learn more tact, which you're woefully short on." I haven't seen or heard much from her since.

mplo said...
Excellent post, J. Rae! It's good to see that more girls and women these days are learning how to take care of themselves and getting into the martial arts/self-defense. I, too participate in TKD, and it's a wonderful thing. I also did Jiu-Jitsu many years ago, with a remarkable instructor (who is now deceased), and learned a great deal from him. I attended a large suburban public high school, in an idyllic suburb west of Boston, back in the mid to late 1960's, when a girl or a woman entering into and studying the martial arts was unheard of. But many more people are doing it now, which is a good thing. Again, keep it up, but one thing I'd like to suggest: Don't go so far as to dare any guy (or anybody) to attack you, because that would be asking for more trouble than you originally bargained for. Glad to give you some encouragement, and hope I've been of some help. All the best of luck to you.

mplo said...
Go for it! You've got nothing to lose by trying!

mplo said...
You are so spot-on, acoustically! Way to go!

mplo said...
Be strong, Kayira1991! Stand your ground, and don't listen to people (including your friends, etc.,) who try to denigrate you for taking up Judo! Judo and other martial arts are wonderful and they build up confidence in teens and adults alike, and help reduce the likelihood of one's being a target for bullies, and enable one to defend him/herself if they're ever attacked physically. Here's hoping I've been of some help here. All the best of luck to you, and don't give up the ship!

Rose said...
on Aug. 7 2015 at 4:16 am
I've been thinking of taking up Judo and I really enjoyed reading this because I'm quite curious about it

xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments
wow. you're so right. i took karate classes for like 4 or 5 years and it was cool learning how to fight. i took classes twice a week and it was great excersize too. plus now i can defend myslef if it comes down to it and thats a good thing to have under your belt especially for girls. we really should know how to kick beat the hell out of someone if we need to. i only quit because my instructor was horrible and it was getting to expensive. but i was one belt from my black belt so im prepared to kick ass if i had to. knowing how to defend yourself is more important than posting some crap on facebook and more girls who dont realize that should.

J. Rae said...

Anything like Martial Arts, or self defense, is for anybody. I participate in Tae Kwon Do, and I am so glad that I never quit. I have amazing reflexes now (sometimes they get me into trouble with my friends, and I have to warn them not to poke me or else I'll accidentally hit them... I can't stop reflexes!!) that will help me later on in life, and I almost dare a guy to try and attack me so that I can kick his butt! I feel safer knowing that I can defend myself later in life if I ever have to, and it is NOT a waste of time! YOu can learn good skills in martial arts other than just kicking and punching, you learn how to be respectful and how toa behave, and there is a lot of memorization and self discipline in martial arts.

I wish you luck, and hope that people will come to realize the importance of being able to defend youself!

acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." Oscar Wilde

I used to do judo and I agree that women's self defense is nothing to be ridiculed when so many are raped and attacked because the gender stereotypes of the old times sticking around for today.

on Jan. 2 2010 at 12:48 am
TheN3RDWAD GOLD, Von Ormy, Texas
I hear you. I don't take Judo, but I hate the idea that they would say it's a waste of time for girls. It's stupid, the statistic for a girl to be sexually assaulted is increasing, it's apparently 3/4 women. Scary thought, huh? It would be nice to know how to defend you instead of being raped or mugged or beat up. Good job for not giving it up because the other people don't like it. Kudos to you girl.