Judo: A Waste of Time for Girls? | Teen Ink

Judo: A Waste of Time for Girls?

December 14, 2009
By Kayira1991 GOLD, Dhaka, Other
Kayira1991 GOLD, Dhaka, Other
15 articles 181 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have miles to go before I sleep
If there is a will, there is a way
Nothing is impossible


" Why do you learn judo? It's so tomboyish" I am just tired of hearing this. Honestly, I just can't take it any more. I feel, judo is for everyone. You should know how to defend yourself. For example, when someone is trying to attack you, maybe a rival or an unknown mugger. I really don't get it why some friends tease me for judo. When a girl is in a threatening position, wouldn't it be cool if it she can save herself? Rather than being a damsel in distress, waiting for someone to rescue you.........

Once, a classmate told me I am just wasting my time, given that our exams are approaching. What about her listening to music and watching tv for hours? And times spent on chatting with friends online? I really don't think five classes a week is a waste of time. And I would very much like to be able to take care of myself, rather than being a damsel in distress.

" Judo is not for girls" - I am just tired of hearing this sexist phrase. And I am really not going to listen to people's advices on how I should try to be more girly.

Does it happen to you as well, friends? People trying to pull you back, trying to persuade you to give up a hobby you love?

The author's comments:
I am really frustrated and I wrote this article to make myself calm. I also hope, the readers will never give up their hobbies just because a friend says to do that.