Take Your Marks, Set... Pool | Teen Ink

Take Your Marks, Set... Pool

November 1, 2013
By Elizabeth Penney BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado
Elizabeth Penney BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Take Yours Marks, Get Set... Pool

I believe that a swimming pool would be very beneficial in the community. Why should we have a swimming pool in Crested Butte? That is the big question that many people have been wondering. What I am wondering is, why don’t we have a swimming pool in Crested Butte? I know for a fact that it is a large problem to find where to put it and where to get the money to build this facility. If we had this facility it would benefit the health of the people in the town, it would be beneficial for all ages, and it would help the towns economy. Right now from Crested Butte Community School there are four families driving down to Gunnison four days a week for swim practice and this includes two mornings a week. I believe that if there was a swimming pool and a swim team in Crested Butte a lot more people would either try or join the team. There are also lots of adults that would benefit from this facility, when we are down at the pool it is full with all but two lanes of adult swimmers, and the other two lanes are high school and middle school swimmers. Keep reading and you will understand why Crested Butte would benefit form this facility.
There are many health benefits of swimming. Did you know that swimming helps your heart?, With the amount of exercise that you are getting it helps your blood circulation. Swimming can also help people with arthritis. How is this possible? In water you are getting a work out but in a way you are also letting your muscles take a break and so it gives them time to heal. (Health Benefits) Swimming keeps me in shape when I am not dancing or running track. It is great for cross-training and keeps me working out. With only two and a half hours of swimming every week you can decrease the risk of chronic illness.
Any age can enjoy the fun of a swimming pool. People from new born to 100 can enjoy the pool. There is something for everyone at swimming facilities. There are water aerobics classes, lap pools, sitting enjoying the water, rushing down the waterslides, or just splashing around with friends. There is always something for everyone. It has been said the some people enjoy water-based exercise more than on land. Also swimming is rated the 4th most popular sport in the U.S.. Swimming is proven to help bring families together with small children that have development disabilities. This pool would benefit everyone in their health and mentally.
Swim meets can help the town. When there are swim meets it seems to bring in quite a few people. I have noticed that people at swim meets stay in a hotel and usually eat out. If we had a pool we would be able to host meets of are own and that would help are community. During the winter when people would rather not go skiing but would like to get exercise, they could go to the swimming pool and swim laps a get the same amount of exercise as they could skiing. If this facility was in our town parent wouldn't have to drive down to Gunnison as much, I know lots of small children who on the weekend ask their parents to go to the pool and their parent say no because that they don't want to drive all the way to Gunnison, if this was in Crested Butte kid could go swimming and there parents don't have to drive as far.