Lacrosse | Teen Ink

Lacrosse

By Jpstites BRONZE, Bend, Oregon
Jpstites BRONZE, Bend, Oregon

I’ve played a lot of different sports but one definitely stood out to me, Lacrosse. I never would’ve thought about playing this unique sport until both my dad and my brother were playing. I went to a game and I knew I had to play. I started out playing boys lacrosse, only because there was no girls team where I used to live. When I got the ball, I had one purpose...to get the ball to the net. And that’s what I did (usually).

Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the world and it’s also the fastest game on feet. It was a sport originally played by Native Americans. They played for days, weeks even, on a huge plot of land. They played with wooden sticks and no padding, but still went all out to hit each other to get the ball. The lacrosse ball was made of leather, but they’re now made of hard rubber. The sticks today are made of string, leather, and a hollow shaft.

Boys and girls lacrosse are entirely different sports. In boys lacrosse they wear helmets, shoulder and elbow pads, and padded gloves. In girls they only wear goggles and optional, thinly lined gloves. The rules are completely different too; in boys they are allowed to hit each other and lay each other out. But in girls, they are only allowed to hit each others sticks.

I can’t imagine not playing lacrosse. It’s not just a sport, it’s a way of life. You have to be a team player but you also have to know what to do when all else fails and you’re on your own. Lacrosse really does teach you valuable lessons, even though you are probably thinking that it’s just another sport you can play.