Football... the game of life | Teen Ink

Football... the game of life

December 14, 2011
By nickatnight BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
nickatnight BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Since I was five years old, I have been playing the game of football. I believe that football is not just a ball game, but also a game about life. When I am not on the field, I enjoy watching other little kids play the game. They play without fear, reason and with a huge grin on their face. As I’ve grown into the real world, I have begun to see more ties between life and football.



As I look down the line, I see everyone dripping sweat; I see the pain on each players face. The coach blows the whistle and everyone takes off to sprint to the other end of the field. When things get hard, like what we experience in our workouts, there is no giving up. If we give up and quit now, it will happen in the game. Then, we have lost, failed, and been defeated. This applies to the real world as well. If you lose your job, you have to go out and find a new one because somebody has to pay the bills. You can’t quit because you will end with nothing and be defeated. Work isn’t always fun and it can be extremely hard. Whether it’s holding up the state championship or getting a promotion hard work reaps many rewards.



To be successful in football, you need to come together and be a team. You can’t run if someone doesn’t block, you can’t pass if there is nobody to throw to, and you can’t win if there is no team. We all have to work together no matter what our differences may be. This teamwork can be applied the exact same way to your career. You will need to rely on co-workers to do their part while you do yours, coming together to get the job done. Now, you and your partner, have faith in each other, this faith will continue to do great things.



Through all the blood, sweat, and tears you and your teammates have gone through; you now have a strong friendship that could last a lifetime. The both of you have instilled trust in each other, and know he will do anything for you, and you would do the same for him. As you grow into adulthood, you will meet new people, find out their personalities and build a friendship.



Football gets a lot of attention, for the stars and the teams, but in my eyes it’s more than that. I see life lessons that are there for us to learn and prepare us for the real world. Football is all about building and relying on relationships with others. Football has been and continues to be a stepping-stone in the game of life. I’m just one step closer…