The Passions of the Arts | Teen Ink

The Passions of the Arts

March 24, 2011
By dancingkate8 BRONZE, Coventry, Rhode Island
dancingkate8 BRONZE, Coventry, Rhode Island
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

To have a passion for an art is probably one of the best things you can do for your self. Why you might ask? Those of you, who do have a love for the arts, know exactly what I mean. Yet, those of you who don’t, well, hopefully your opinion can be swayed. From experience, as a sixteen year old high school student, most can relate to the fact that life can seem overwhelming and even unbearable at times. Since these troubles are new to us, some decide to opt out of good opinions and build up habits of drinking, partying, sex and drug abuse. We give up the strength of being able to carry ourselves as a strong confident person. We give up responsibility and maturity. We give up. For those who want to remain strong, and want to keep holding on to their goals and dreams, to remain sane, there needs to be something in our lives that allows us with a relief of stress. An art can do exactly that.

Everyone listens to music, on good days we like listening to our favorite pop or hip hop songs on the radio like Lady Gaga, Eminem, Timberland, Britney Spears, Lil Wayne and the occasional Miley Cyrus song that seems to always get stuck in our heads. Then on other days we blast our Taylor Swift, Sara Barellis, or Coldplay songs to match our cheerless emotion. Music has a way of making us feel good or at least better about ourselves.


Public schools, nowadays, have been seeing a rapid decline of students enrolling in some type of arts program. Dance, music, drama, chorus, painting or drawing classes seem to only be filled to a minimum capacity, as students choose to opt out of any form of an arts class. Being a passionate dancer, I honestly don’t know what I would be doing without it. Just recently, thinking about what colleges I should apply to and what careers should I choose helped me realize just how important the art of dance really is to me. I look forward to the days that I have dance as it really allows me to escape the stresses of my teenaged life. Dance allows me to live in the moment and truly be happy and confident about myself. I feel beautiful every time I hit the stage which is a very uncommon statement for any teens nowadays to say. Any one can feel this way if they really find a passion for some type of art.
Imagine if every student found a passion for art, wouldn’t the bad influences decrease? What would be the point to consume drugs everyday afterschool or get drunk on the weekends when your parents aren’t home? Granted finding a love for an art won’t cure everyone’s bad habits but won’t we overall be happier? Public schools really should take into consideration these needs of stress relief as it could be the answer to the decline of education in American students. By engaging more schools to expand they’re arts programs maybe, just maybe, adolescents will become better people of the world today.