Sports: Girls Don't Get Enough Credit This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Girls, particularily girl atheletes: Ever gotten critisism from guys on how easy our sports are? I'm talking, "Of course you bat a .300! The ball's going 10 miles per hour!" and, "I've got a basketball tournament this weekend. Oh, competitive basketball. You wouldn't understand, Lauren."

Well personally, I'm sick of it. I don't know whether it's the fact they completely ignore my team's beastly 23-1 record or if they just need a self esteem boost from they're measley 1-23 record. Yes, we may play a little scrappier and no, we can't really dunk or pitch a 95 miles per hour fast ball. But we're girls, we're physically, not weaker, but less muscular than guys. We're normally shorter, too. So cut us some slack.

I don't mean for this to be an excuse, either. Half of what you say we are is an exaggeration, anyway. Look at some of the great female atheletes in the U.S. Jennie Finch, #1 ranked professional softball player nationally and possibly internationally. Shawn Johnson, one of the most famous olympic gymnasts at the young age of 16. Yeah, ever heard of Paul Hamm? Me neither, and he's the first ranked American gymnast. There are countless other female figures in America, atheletes and nonatheletes.

So guys: Before you knock the softball player sitting next to you in math class, think twice. Who knows, she might be able to school you.

travor said...
One more thing, do you know who Nate Robison is?he is a backup for the bulls in th NBA but starts because their star point gaurd is injured IS AMAZING  so being short is not an excuse 

travor said...
hey, im a guy but i have nothing against girl sports somtimes girl sports are easier somtimes they are harder. The reasons girls don't play in the MLB is not because they are girls but they are not always good enough. Again i have nothing against girl sports and somtimes they are better then men...

Lauren08 said...
LOVE! I'm a softball pitcher and the guys at my school are always saying stuff about how softball is pathetic because its a girls sport and I'm sick of it!

Sarita15 said...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 3:24 am
Thank you!!!  I feel this way all the time.  The boys at my school, especially the jocks, are always devaluing women's sports, and it's infuriating.  I know for a fact that I could take some of them, especially at softball.  Let's see some of them take on our pitcher's 60 mph fastball :)

alisha14 said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
i know exactly how you feel! guys in our school act like girls aren't good at sports, but really, we are. Us girls are very important and they don't understand that.

Faith-Morgan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 8:57 am
haha i love your article and yes that is so true i play 3 different sports and the guys all ways have to think there better. I go through that everyday