Football at Its Best This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Passion, excitement, love, and hatred all describe the sport of football at any level. But, are these emotions stronger in the NFL or in college ball? Which has a better fan base or more problems on and off the field?

In my opinion, college football is far better than the NFL. First, there are college teams in every state, not just in some large cities. Second, every year fans get to watch new, talented players improve their team. Third, there is less controversy on and off the field at the college level than in the NFL.

Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho are just a few states that don't have a professional football team. But, they do all have colleges in many big city. If I lived in one of these states, I might have a favorite NFL team, but I probably wouldn't be able to go to games often. I would have to pay a fortune to fly to my team's city, and then I would risk the chance of seeing them lose. Conversely, I could see multiple college games without spending a lot of money and get the same, if not better, enjoyment.

Don't NFL fans get tired of watching the same old players every year? Sure, their team might make an exciting trade or get a playmaker in the draft, but for the most part it's the same players every game, every year. In college football, fresh talent comes onto campus each season. You may even get to see stars from your high school play for your favorite college team. Most people don't personally know anyone in the NFL, so it's harder to relate to professional players.

The NFL is plagued with controversies and problems of public conduct. For example, in 2008, Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Manhattan night club. He was suspended for the remainder of the season and will serve two years in prison. NFL players are regularly caught up in illegal gambling, whether football-related or not. A prime example of this is Michael Vick and the dogfighting scandal. But the biggest issue for the NFL – and most professional sports – is substance abuse and steroid use.

Collegiate programs rarely have these problems with players. There may be two or three stories a year about a couple of silly players doing something stupid in public or not receiving good enough grades, but not to the extent of the NFL. This results in fewer collegiate athletes being suspended from play, which means you don't have to wait out a suspension to see your favorite player on the field again.

In conclusion, I think that collegiate football is much better than the NFL.

DaCoolest said...
Apr. 16 at 8:26 am:
Admist all the controversy that routinely hits the NFL in the offseason, the author adds fuel to the fuel with this article. According to him, football is played at the most fan friendly level in collegiate leagues. A lot of his main arguments struck me as somewhat invalid and open-ended, but I found that the topic that could have potentially swung a higher percentage of the audience in his favor was only touched on once. He mentioned briefly how the atmosphere changes from college to the pros, ... (more »)

FootBallStud5501 said...
B.O.B is a good rapper

lilramos said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm:
I agree that college football is better to a certain intent. College football is more traditional and more live because all the football players want to make it to the nfl. and The nfl is better where its the best talent in the world playing eachother in the go hard or go home kinda deal. They try alot harder in college tho because they want to be a NFL player some day in there life.

jz56 said...
I agree that college football is better to a certain intent. college football is more traditional and more live because all the football players want to make it to the nfl. and The nfl is better where its the best talent in the world playing eachother in the go hard or go home kinda deal.

jazzyiscewt said...
as for the off field controversy in the NFL being worse than college... JERRY SANDUSKY!

splash23 said...
college football is not better than NFL football;your carzy!

107myj4 said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 11:11 am:

i think the wrighter really proved his/her point and i somewhat agree.

bam22 said...
Sept. 23, 2011 at 9:02 am:
cool..................................

trejames03 said...
I agree 100% with this. For years I have always set my weekends in the fall to playing friday nights, laying around doing absolutely nothing except watching college football with my dad all day long. From the first big ten game to, the big finale of the weekend, the primetime game. My favorite team are the cougars and I have found a deep love for them the past 16 years. College football is a joy to me. Then on sundays i usually get stuck finishing homework so then I have to worry about that, and... (more »)

adamzGOTskillz said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 am:
I absolutely agree with this article. College football is a way better sport on and off the field. I think it's more fun to watch too. I live in Kentucky and I have to drive to another state to watch a NFL game. But there are plenty of colleges I can go watch.

o-nize said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 9:11 am:
i believe college football is better than Nfl because you have young talent showing all there best so they can become a superstar. in nfl there grown men who knoe they are good and dont have to get better an just think they could play good when they feel like it!

poptart said...
I say if you come across a scholarship take it. If you take it you may have a chance to be a star for football and if you do get to be a star football player DON'T GET HURT!!!!!!

devinthomas216 said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:06 am:
I have to agree. College football is better than the NFL in so many ways. Every week a "no name" team can ruin the chances of a National ranked team, the rivalries, the crazy fans, the upcoming stars and you have a chance to watch future NFL players.

B.O.B said...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 10:18 am:
Yeah right amigo

lszyman96 said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 7:24 pm:
sorry i just dont agree...nfl is way more fun to watch

Freak4g replied...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm :
Nfl is way more intense than college ball. The differece is college ball is played more for the love of the sport  than in NFL that ball is played more for the money and stats.

trusty#2Allday replied...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 7:33 am :
well once as youthink aboutit people is actually playing to get a job an be in the NFL. as tho you are already in the NFL so your just tryin to stay in as long as you can so your not going to try as hard to get youself hurt.

ĈōŔđĒĻļ said...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 9:43 am:
i dont think that college is better than the nfl

D-UNIT replied...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:41 pm :
NFL..... They hit a lot harder and its great to ee them making amazing plays at their level

poptart replied...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm :
D-unit what does ee mean