Football at Its Best | Teen Ink

Football at Its Best MAG

October 8, 2009
By Corbin Sharp BRONZE, West Jordan, Utah
Corbin Sharp BRONZE, West Jordan, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Passion, excitement, love, and hatred all describe the sport of football at any level. But, are these emotions stronger in the NFL or in college ball? Which has a better fan base or more problems on and off the field?

In my opinion, college football is far better than the NFL. First, there are college teams in every state, not just in some large cities. Second, every year fans get to watch new, talented players improve their team. Third, there is less controversy on and off the field at the college level than in the NFL.

Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho are just a few states that don't have a professional football team. But, they do all have colleges in many big city. If I lived in one of these states, I might have a favorite NFL team, but I probably wouldn't be able to go to games often. I would have to pay a fortune to fly to my team's city, and then I would risk the chance of seeing them lose. Conversely, I could see multiple college games without spending a lot of money and get the same, if not better, enjoyment.

Don't NFL fans get tired of watching the same old players every year? Sure, their team might make an exciting trade or get a playmaker in the draft, but for the most part it's the same players every game, every year. In college football, fresh talent comes onto campus each season. You may even get to see stars from your high school play for your favorite college team. Most people don't personally know anyone in the NFL, so it's harder to relate to professional players.

The NFL is plagued with controversies and problems of public conduct. For example, in 2008, Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Manhattan night club. He was suspended for the remainder of the season and will serve two years in prison. NFL players are regularly caught up in illegal gambling, whether football-related or not. A prime example of this is Michael Vick and the dogfighting scandal. But the biggest issue for the NFL – and most professional sports – is substance abuse and steroid use.

Collegiate programs rarely have these problems with players. There may be two or three stories a year about a couple of silly players doing something stupid in public or not receiving good enough grades, but not to the extent of the NFL. This results in fewer collegiate athletes being suspended from play, which means you don't have to wait out a suspension to see your favorite player on the field again.

In conclusion, I think that collegiate football is much better than the NFL.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 27 comments.


DaCoolest said...
on Apr. 16 2014 at 8:26 am
Admist all the controversy that routinely hits the NFL in the offseason, the author adds fuel to the fuel with this article. According to him, football is played at the most fan friendly level in collegiate leagues. A lot of his main arguments struck me as somewhat invalid and open-ended, but I found that the topic that could have potentially swung a higher percentage of the audience in his favor was only touched on once. He mentioned briefly how the atmosphere changes from college to the pros, how the same fire isn't burning as bright in some of the players who are already guaranteed millions, and less boistrous fan bases who really have no connection whatsoever to the team they're watching. Speaking from prior experience, as I've watched both college and professional level football, I can tell you right away that the actual quality of the football being played is vastly superior in the NFL than that of the NCAA. Better strategy, better talent, better experience in the players, better football. Contrary to the author's point in saying that watching the same players each year in the NFL is boring, I personally find this to be one of the most intriguing parts of the NFL. I grew up watching Eli Manning on Sundays. I grew to learn all his quirks, his tendencies, his strengths and weaknesses and wouldn't want it any other way. With his down seasons in 2012 and 2013, I can't be sure of what Eli will step on to the field, the dominant, composed one, or the paranoid gunslinger? Go back a few years and that player was Michael Strahan, back a couple more and it's Jeremy Shockey or Tiki Barber. My dad still tells stories of how amazing Lawrence Taylor was back in the 80s and 90s. A fan grows accustomed to players like these over many years of watyching them develop, which would never happen in college football, where a player is only around for 2-4 years. Look at Johnny Manziel, for example. As a Texas A&M fan, wouldn't you want to see Manziel every year, exciting fans and striving to win you a title instead of stabbing you in the back and declaring for the NFL draft just 2 years after you met him? A lot of this article is nonsensically demeaning and derogatory to the NFL, and backs the NCAA poorly. I can't say it changed my opinion on either of the leagues in the slightest.

on Oct. 4 2013 at 3:19 pm
FootBallStud5501, Lasalle, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
B.O.B is a good rapper

on Jun. 10 2013 at 12:15 pm
lilramos BRONZE, Canadensis, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dont judge a book by its cover"

I agree that college football is better to a certain intent. College football is more traditional and more live because all the football players want to make it to the nfl. and The nfl is better where its the best talent in the world playing eachother in the go hard or go home kinda deal. They try alot harder in college tho because they want to be a NFL player some day in there life.

on Mar. 29 2013 at 11:42 pm
Walkoffahero BRONZE, Columbia, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I think they misunderestimated me." -George Bush

It's even worse with college basketball and the NBA.

jz56 said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 1:56 pm
I agree that college football is better to a certain intent. college football is more traditional and more live because all the football players want to make it to the nfl. and The nfl is better where its the best talent in the world playing eachother in the go hard or go home kinda deal.

jazzyiscewt said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 1:55 pm
as for the off field controversy in the NFL being worse than college... JERRY SANDUSKY!

splash23 said...
on Apr. 11 2012 at 1:38 pm
college football is not better than NFL football;your carzy!

107myj4 said...
on Oct. 27 2011 at 11:11 am

i think the wrighter really proved his/her point and i somewhat agree.

 


bam22 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 9:02 am
bam22 BRONZE, Levering, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 4 comments
cool..................................

trejames03 said...
on Apr. 8 2011 at 1:54 pm
trejames03, Tacoma, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I agree 100% with this. For years I have always set my weekends in the fall to playing friday nights, laying around doing absolutely nothing except watching college football with my dad all day long. From the first big ten game to, the big finale of the weekend, the primetime game. My favorite team are the cougars and I have found a deep love for them the past 16 years. College football is a joy to me. Then on sundays i usually get stuck finishing homework so then I have to worry about that, and if I watch an NFL game, then I do. If not, its no big deal. The college game is packed more with desire and true love for the game than the NFL is.

on Mar. 30 2011 at 7:33 am
well once as youthink aboutit people is actually playing to get a job an be in the NFL. as tho you are already in the NFL so your just tryin to stay in as long as you can so your not going to try as hard to get youself hurt.

on Feb. 9 2011 at 9:47 am
I absolutely agree with this article. College football is a way better sport on and off the field. I think it's more fun to watch too. I live in Kentucky and I have to drive to another state to watch a NFL game. But there are plenty of colleges I can go watch.

o-nize said...
on Jan. 6 2011 at 9:11 am
i believe college football is better than Nfl because you have young talent showing all there best so they can become a superstar. in nfl there grown men who knoe they are good and dont have to get better an just think they could play good when they feel like it!

poptart said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 1:15 pm
D-unit what does ee mean

poptart said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 1:12 pm
I say if you come across a scholarship take it. If you take it you may have a chance to be a star for football and if you do get to be a star football player DON'T GET HURT!!!!!!

on Dec. 15 2010 at 2:03 pm
Gilbert, BRONZE, Houston, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Impossible is Impossible"

Nfl is way more intense than college ball. The differece is college ball is played more for the love of the sport  than in NFL that ball is played more for the money and stats.

on Nov. 11 2010 at 8:06 am
devinthomas216, Cleveland, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All i do is win, win, win no matter what" -T Pain

I have to agree. College football is better than the NFL in so many ways. Every week a "no name" team can ruin the chances of a National ranked team, the rivalries, the crazy fans, the upcoming stars and you have a chance to watch future NFL players.

B.O.B said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 10:18 am
Yeah right amigo

lszyman96 said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 7:24 pm
lszyman96, Romeoville, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
" stay golden ponyboy"
-the outsiders

sorry i just dont agree...nfl is way more fun to watch

DerekA. SILVER said...
on Mar. 7 2010 at 12:42 pm
DerekA. SILVER, Pleasant Plains, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments
hahahahahahahahahaha good luck hahahahahahaha