Football at Its Best | Teen Ink

Football at Its Best MAG

October 8, 2009
By Corbin Sharp BRONZE, West Jordan, Utah
Corbin Sharp BRONZE, West Jordan, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Passion, excitement, love, and hatred all describe the sport of football at any level. But, are these emotions stronger in the NFL or in college ball? Which has a better fan base or more problems on and off the field?

In my opinion, college football is far better than the NFL. First, there are college teams in every state, not just in some large cities. Second, every year fans get to watch new, talented players improve their team. Third, there is less controversy on and off the field at the college level than in the NFL.

Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho are just a few states that don't have a professional football team. But, they do all have colleges in many big city. If I lived in one of these states, I might have a favorite NFL team, but I probably wouldn't be able to go to games often. I would have to pay a fortune to fly to my team's city, and then I would risk the chance of seeing them lose. Conversely, I could see multiple college games without spending a lot of money and get the same, if not better, enjoyment.

Don't NFL fans get tired of watching the same old players every year? Sure, their team might make an exciting trade or get a playmaker in the draft, but for the most part it's the same players every game, every year. In college football, fresh talent comes onto campus each season. You may even get to see stars from your high school play for your favorite college team. Most people don't personally know anyone in the NFL, so it's harder to relate to professional players.

The NFL is plagued with controversies and problems of public conduct. For example, in 2008, Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Manhattan night club. He was suspended for the remainder of the season and will serve two years in prison. NFL players are regularly caught up in illegal gambling, whether football-related or not. A prime example of this is Michael Vick and the dogfighting scandal. But the biggest issue for the NFL – and most professional sports – is substance abuse and steroid use.

Collegiate programs rarely have these problems with players. There may be two or three stories a year about a couple of silly players doing something stupid in public or not receiving good enough grades, but not to the extent of the NFL. This results in fewer collegiate athletes being suspended from play, which means you don't have to wait out a suspension to see your favorite player on the field again.

In conclusion, I think that collegiate football is much better than the NFL.