Disabled athletes | Teen Ink

Disabled athletes

By Manon BRONZE, Berck Sur Mer, Other
Manon BRONZE, Berck Sur Mer, Other

Disabled athletes

For me Paralympic athletes are real heroes, they are people who surpass themselves and who don't give up, many athletes are famous, I have chosen two.

Sofia Gonzalez was born in London with a disability in her right leg. She had an amputation at the age of three. Her parents took her to see the Paralympics in London when she was 12. She saw that many athletes were in the same situation as her, which gave her the desire to be like them, the desire to succeed and surpass. At the age of 15, during a weekend, she discovered the carbon prosthesis that allowed her to run for the first time, it was a revelation. After that, everything went very quickly, she arrived in 4th place in the 100 meters in 2018. In 2021, Sofia Gonzalez won her first international medal by winning bronze in the long jump during the European Championships. At the 2021 Olympics she arrived in 7th place in the 100 meters. She is an athlete that I admire, she never gave up and always wanted to surpass herself. She did exceptional things. I do athletics and Sofia Gonzalez is one of my examples.

Oksana Masters is also a Paralympic athlete, she was born in Khmelnytskyi in Ukraine. She was born with fibular hemimelia, her legs were different lengths and she had no shins. She also had five webbed fingers without thumbs, six toes on each foot.
She was abandoned at birth, she suffered in an orphanage. At the age of 7 Guay Masters became Oksana's mother. At 9 years old she had her left leg amputated and at 14 her right. She also had surgeries to reconstruct her hands. She started rowing at the age of 13. In 2012, she won her first Paralympic medal with her rowing partner Rob Jones. Following a back injury, she abandoned rowing in favor of cross-country skiing and won 2 medals in Sochi in 2014. With seven medals in seven events at the Winter Paralympic Games.
Oksana Masters is an amazing woman, she suffered a lot during her childhood but rose again. She is incredible. She never gave up and always surpassed herself.

These Paralympic athletes are amazing people who are not stopped by the fact of being "disabled". These girls have managed to show that they can excel in a sport just like the others. I find it incredible to start from so low and finish so high. Paralympic athletes have enormous minds.

Manon Dupuis