Friday Night Lights | Teen Ink

Friday Night Lights

December 10, 2018
By Anonymous

Friday night lights. Fall has finally come. Cheerleaders on the sidelines and fans in the stands. High school football brings communities together as they cheer on the local teams from the bleachers. But is all of this excitement truly safe. Research has shown that while there have been many injuries caused by football, safety has improved and will continue to improve in order to secure the protection and well-being of high school football players.

Over the last several years, protection of high school football players has increased significantly. Coaches have been implementing, “additional instruction on appropriate tackling and blocking techniques as well as position-specific conditioning (to) help reduce the risk of injury during plays.” (Nationwide Children’s Hospital) These coaches, along with other various administration are taking the preventative measures needed in order to ensure the best safety of and for the students. In addition, coaches are beginning to control practices to limit contact so that they avoid head and neck among other various injuries. Also players must provide a doctor’s note in order to resume play after any form of a head or neck injury. (Holder) The equipment quality has increased with both new technology and safety features. The New York Times Upfront states that, “Improving helmet technology is a good way to start.” Any precautions that can be taken to protect the head are necessary.

While it may be true that every athlete sustains a major injury in his or her athletic career, there are ways that the smaller abrasions can be avoided. It has been stated that the number of hits to the head, when summed up, have taken a terrible toll on students. (The New York Times Upfront) The minute instances can lead to be the worst long-term injuries of all. However, while more than half a million injuries were recorded nationally of high school football players, you do not half to get injured to play the game. (Nationwide Children’s Hospital) Injuries do not justify a sport: the sport is about playing the game. And while injuries may come along as a side dish, you may need to opt for the entree in order to be satisfied.  

As the technology improves and the way the game is played is modified, the numbers of injuries will continue to decrease. High school football is a safe game and with the correct protection and precautions taken, there should be no reason to not take part in the game. No matter the age, youth, especially high school, football has proven to be extremely rewarding.


The author's comments:

My views on if high school football is safe