I Do Not Worship the Devil | Teen Ink

I Do Not Worship the Devil

May 24, 2016
By Anonymous

One of the greatest benefits to living in the United States is the freedom citizens have to practice whichever religion they desire; anything from the more mainstream religions like Christianity and Judaism to the recently popular hoax religion of pastafariamism are welcomed and accpeted in the land of the free. Even with the abundance of religions to choose from and practice, some people still choose the path of no religion or atheism; atheist do not believe in any deities or gods. Whenever I mention that I am an atheist, I frequently recieve judgmental questions, comments, glances, glares because of the stigma surrounding atheism. Some people depict atheists as demon worshiping, immoral, intolerant citizens with evil seething from their pores, but this generalization could not be farther from the truth; atheism is the absense of belief in a deity and does not define a person.

If I got paid every time a person asked me if I am a demon-worshiper after mentioning my atheism, I would be quite a wealthy woman. This may come as a shock to some, but atheists do not worship demons. In fact, a majority of atheists do not even believe in demons or the devil. Those who choose to praise demons or the devil most likely claim something along the lines of Satanism as their religion, not atheism, so do not blatantly assume that we worship the devil. Atheists do not worhsip demons because atheists do not worship anything- that is the whole point of atheism!

Numerous people suppose that without the religions foundation, atheists ave no moral background and have no remorse in doing wrong. In reality, several atheists are exemplary citizens and lead ethical lives despite their irreligion. Various famous people and historical figures throughout the years have been atheists such as Stephen Hawking, Kurt Vonnegut, Daniel Radcliffe, and Billy Joel; each of these people have lived successful, moral lives and are renowned for all fo their positive contributions to society. Addtionally, atheists founded the Atheist Alliance International, an organization that promotes social wellness and protection. Lacking religious belief and background does not determine the morality, ethicality, or intergrity of a person.

Originating from the fact that atheists lack religious beliefs, people often assume that atheists condemn and abhor all religions. For me and many other atheists, this assumption could not be farther from the truth; I relish in the opportunity to learn about different religions and cultures and thoroughly enjoy the celebration of diversity. I have gone to festivals, celebrations, parties for religions and cultures outside of my own merely to experience something new and unfamilar to me, and I know of many other atheists who can claim the same. In all honesty, i have more frequently encountered more intolerant religious persons than irreligious persons! Not identifyin with a religion has not made me or other atheists intolerant, but instead more accepting and inviting of the various beliefs and cultures found throughout the world.

Sinful, wicked, devil-worshippers? I don't think so. Atheism is simply the absense of belief in a God or deity, nothing more and nothing less. Assumptions cannot be made about atheism because all atheists are different and have dissimilar beliefs outside the realm of deities. We are not devil worshipers; we are not immoral; we are not intolerant; we are just ordinary people who just so happen to not believe in a God. Get to know who we are as people before making assumptions based on something that does not define us.


The author's comments:

This is for all the people who have told me that I am going to "burn in hell". I hope people will read this and become more informed about atheism and be less quick to make assumptions or negative comments.