Is This Beauty? | Teen Ink

Is This Beauty?

By Widmer BRONZE, Warden, Washington
Widmer BRONZE, Warden, Washington

Most girls find their beauty in what they wear or what make up they have on. Many struggle with their appearance and self-esteem. Society has turned to girls, throwing images and ideas of this “perfect” look. What they expect all girls to look like. But most of these images have been modified in some way to make it seem perfect. You get the idea that you are not good enough or pretty enough. I have struggled with this same feeling. It is like quicksand sucking into that trap. But like quicksand, the more you struggle, the more you sink.
I went through this for a while before realizing that I didn’t have to struggle so much. God has created me for who I am and he makes no mistakes. He loves you for who you are. One morning I looked into the mirror and unlike the usual frustration of not looking pretty, I felt a sense of contentment and happiness. In that second I heard a small voice inside of me. “You are beautiful in the way I want you to be not the way they want you to be, because their way doesn’t mean anything.” In that moment I understood God had spoken to me, and he accepts me for who I am. In 1 Peter 3:3-4 it says, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”  

Don’t fall into the trap of trying to be the perfect image. You are beautiful for who you are and who God has created you to be.