Prophet With a Mermaid's Tail | Teen Ink

Prophet With a Mermaid's Tail

February 13, 2015
By mrcarrotcake BRONZE, San Jose, California
mrcarrotcake BRONZE, San Jose, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

 We grew up on a catalogue of princess gowns and Disney films crowding the shelves of our cd cases. And these Disney films originated in traditional fairy tales that would cause devastating damage if showed visually to children. The dark and gruesome fairy tales send powerful messages that film cannot. The difference in mediums is one aspect that determines this effect and decides the difference of stories.


The fairy tales of Disney have been greatly altered from the original versions into the stories we all know and love today. Not many would consider “The Little Mermaid” a Christian short story, but I will compare elements of the story to the Bible. “The Little Mermaid” was written by Hans Christian Andersen, the author of many famous fairy tales today. How does Hans Christian Anderson communicate his message of Christianity in “The Little Mermaid?”


Hans Christian Andersen was a danish author who wrote fairy tales and novels. Some of his most famous fairy tales include, “The Snow Queen,” “The Ugly Duckling,” and “The Little Mermaid.” “The Little Mermaid” was illustrated by Sulamith Wulfing and written by Hans Christian Andersen, and was published by Amber Lotus on October 1, 1996. The Bible is the holy book of Christianity written by many people about the history and teachings of God. Many versions of the Bible have been translated from Hebrew and Greek. The version I will be citing is the New International version that was published by Harper Torch on March 22, 1993.
How does Andersen incorporate Christianity? In the underwater kingdom, there lived 6 mermaid princesses. Their father was the Sea King, and their grandmother took care of them. When each princess turned fifteen, they were allowed to explore the surface. Two of the little mermaid’s sisters swarm up to the surface and they learn of the Sun,

“She also swam towards the Sun; but it sunk into the waves… rays of the Sun were so powerful that she was obliged to dive down under the water to cool her burning face (Anderson, 4).”

When it is the little mermaid's turn to explore the surface, she falls in love with a prince. Near the end of the story the little mermaid jumps off the ship because she did not get her prince. She is then transformed into a Daughter of the Air,

“ The little mermaid lifted her glorified eyes to the Sun…(21).”

A Daughter of the Air is an ethereal being that is invisible and can fly to bring about winds. Their goal is to live out their lifetime with kindly acts to get an immortal soul. In Christian beliefs, God is shown as all knowing, powerful, omnipresent, distant, and appears benevolent or wrathful. The Sun shares these characteristics as well. The Sun is a celestial body that the Earth orbits, it provides sunlight and hangs far off in the sky. It is far away yet always there. The mermaid swims towards it but she can never reach it. The Sun’s rays are powerful just as God is believed to be. Sunlight provides light for us to see and without it, living things would not survive. The sun rays can be harmful and favorable like God’s moods. Heat from the Sun can cause wild fires and sun burns and it can provide warmth and light. When the little mermaid cries for the first time, she looks to the Sun with “glorified eyes.” This seems like an act of gratitude for her life and ability to cry. In all of the major events of the story the Sun is mentioned, such as when she saved the prince, attaining her legs, jumping the ship, and her first trip to the surface. In the Bible God also promises to protect us, “ I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go.. (Genesis 28:15).” The Sun represents God.


Christianity is not only composed of God, what other characters and objects represent a prophet like Moses or Jesus? In order to marry her prince, the little mermaid makes a deal with the sea witch. The witch turns her into a human, but the transformation would cause her great pain. Every time she walked, her feet would be sore and stabbed. On top of that, in exchange for her human legs, she gave up her voice. The little mermaid is transformed into a human on the beach,

“ ... it seemed as if a two-edged sword went through her delicate body...she felt as if treading upon the points of needles or sharp knives; but she bore it willingly.. (15).”

Epistle to the Ephesians is a book of the New Testament in the Bible. It was written by Paul, one of Jesus Christ’s apostles,

“... live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 5:2).”

According to the Bible, Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins because he loves us. The little mermaid suffers horribly in the name of love for her prince. Jesus accepts the responsibility of being the Messiah. The little mermaid is also determined to achieve her goal, and will do just about anything to get it. Christ gives up his life and the little mermaid gives up her happiness and justice. In the Resurrection, Jesus is brought to life from the tomb by God after he was crucified on the cross. Christ’s reward was being resurrected in turn for the suffering he endured. The little mermaid’s redemption was having been given a soul from God for suffering and being a good person. The little mermaid represents Jesus Christ.


The relationship between God and Jesus is father and son. It teaches Christians how to live the "right way.” So what lessons are projected through the symbolism of God and Jesus? In the end, the prince does not marry the little mermaid, instead, he marries the princess who he thought saved him from a shipwreck. The little mermaid is heart broken,

“...a sharper pang had pierced through her heart...she had given up her beautiful voice, and suffered unheard-of pain daily for him, while he knew nothing of it (19).” Shortly after the wedding, the little mermaid is given a knife to kill the prince in order to return to the sea as a mermaid. She almost kills the prince, “ .. the knife trembled in the hand of the little mermaid: then she flung it far away from her into the waves..(20).”

Unlike humans, mermaids cannot cry and don’t have souls. The time at which her first tears occurred shows the values and sacrifices she needs to have. The little mermaid had given up her voice, body, and family for the love of another. That still wasn’t enough to get a soul. What else does she have left? Her desire. Her desire is what keeps her going. The desire to be human and with the one she loves allowed her to endure all the pain. Only after she is given the decision to kill the prince, she finally earns a soul. By refusing to kill the prince she gives up her desire and vengefulness so that he’ll be happy even if she is broken. Her selflessness and ultimate sacrifice earns her a soul as redemption for her suffering in the end as she cries. As long as you suffer unlimited pain for someone you’re a good person and you will get a reward. The little mermaid’s tears were an indicator of a soul and was her redemption. 


The Sun is an analogy for the Christian God because of their similar roles and qualities in the story and the Bible. The Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ is represented by the little mermaid’s choices. The little mermaid’s actions and outcome was redemption for her suffering. Hans Christian Andersen uses symbolism to show how to be a good Christian.


The little mermaid is faced with hard decisions to make, such as not killing the prince, running away from a loving home, and paying the grim price for her decisions. Despite all the tough situations, she makes the good choices that make her a good person rather than taking the easy way out. These lessons are taking out of the Disney films because of how scary it would be in a film version rather than literature. By taking out the core lessons and morals of the original myth, something else is created entirely different. In the movie, Ariel is given an array of choices much similar to the little mermaid in the myth. However, certain circumstances pave the way for only one route that seems right. Therefore, the differences in choices the mermaids make, are credited to the difference of presentation and affects of literature and film. Along with the loss of lessons and ideas, what other components are removed or replaced with the change of mediums?


The author's comments:

I wrote this essay for my Speech and Composition class on Disney's interpretation of Hans Christian Andersen's, The Little Mermaid