Rich With Religion | Teen Ink

Rich With Religion

By margaretelll BRONZE, Avondale, Pennsylvania
margaretelll BRONZE, Avondale, Pennsylvania

Religion. The eight letter word that instantly interests, or bothers someone. Everyone knows at least one religion. And, everyone has an opinion. Moranism, Isalm, Christanity, Judaism, Hindersism, Buddhism, the list goes on and on. I grew up surrounded by religion. I won't tell what specific religion, but for the past seventeen years I have been a proud daughter of a leader of a church. I know I am not the only one. I know lots lots of "church goers." You know, the ones who slid into the very last pew, already fifteen minutes late on Easter and Christmas. Or the ones who go every single Sunday, and maybe Wednesday night. I fall into the later. All my friends know it. No staying out late Saturday night; church in the morning. Every week, same routine. I can't say it bores me, because it doesn't. It's my comfort, a rock I can base and build things from. In such an uncertain and unpredictable world, it's lovely to have a solid unmoving practice. Upon my classmates finding out, I get a lot of "You wake up early every Sunday morning? Sucks." And, I smile. Yes, getting up early does suck. But, going and learning about something that I strongly believe in? Or being around people who I see every week, yet are still happy to see me? And I, happy to see them? No, that does not suck. When you read that I strongly believe in my religion, you read right. I do strongly believe in my religion. However, nowadays, that is considered controversial. "What you believe in offends another person." "You think that? But, I think this!" or my favorite, "How do you know that when you die, that's what's going to happen." Well, I don't. But, you do? I mean come on, religion is the practice of what you believe. If that is "controversial" I don't know what isn't. Religion has been an amorous influence and guide to our ancestors. It has been an amorous influence and guide to who I am. What shaped me, to be who I am. Who I will be. I am full and ambulant. This religion of mine keeps me smiling for days. I am rich with religion.