Stereotyped | Teen Ink

Stereotyped

November 21, 2009
By Anonymous

Recently, I read an article about atheism by Sarah M. Titled "My Religion", I would urge everyone to read it, as it gives an insight into an atheist's mind, one that is not often seen. While I was reading it, I was thinking; 'wait. I barely knew her religion, yet I rejected it. Have people done the same to mine?'

I've moved from Saudi Arabia to Canada. As anyone with a basic knowledge of geography and culture knows, that is about the biggest culture shock a person can get. In Saudi Arabia, modesty was valued. In Canada, modesty is but a word. In Saudi Arabia, I felt at home, among fellow Muslims. No-one questioned me or my principles; they were generally accepted and understood to be true. When I came here, I thought, unreasonably, that it would be the same. I thought that people would have a general, basic knowledge of something that was my whole world. I was so sure of God, and Islam, and all of the ideals that came along with it. I thought that others, too, would be drawn by the light.

I was wrong.

Canada is a very tolerant place. Anyone will tell you that it is a multicultural quilt. The people are polite and respectful. They are wonderfully open-minded. But they, unfortunately, have concluded that as Christianity is not for them, neither is any other religion in the world. Chrisitianity, a religion which they are familiar with, is their base for judging other religions.

I am, of course, generalising here. But not much. It is what I have seen and observed. Undoubtedly, not everyone thinks like this. But the people whom I have met--nice and honest to the core--are blissful in their ignorance. And it kills me, because they don't see what they're missing out on.

Islam is not violent. It is not oppressive or cruel or any other stereotype. It is, quite honestly, what is true. Every time I read the Quran (the holy book), I know that it is true. The most beautiful poetry fills my ears and heart. It's as if some empty part of me is content. This is faith.

But for some, faith is not enough. They need scientific reasoning. They need facts. And, because Christianity does not give them these, they think that Islam does not either. It is perfectly normal. But I would urge anyone who feels this way to read "Allah's Miracles in the Quran" by Harun Yahya. It is one of the most in-depth and enlightening books on the subject. Science, through and through. Order it off Amazon or eBay. It's not that difficult.

Every single time I hang out with my new Canadian friends, there's always a little thorn in my heart, saying, 'What will happen to them after they die?'. It hurts so much to know that someone you care about is misguided. That is why believers of all religions always try to get non-believers to convert--they care. They cannot stand the idea of you or I burning. They want to help. I want to help.

I realise that I am getting a bit desperate here, but if I manage to convince even one person, it will be worth it.


The author's comments:
If anyone wants more info on Islam, just post a comment. :) Thanks.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 50 comments.


on Dec. 18 2015 at 10:29 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri
40 articles 4 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

Agreed. All we can do is pray.

on Jul. 6 2012 at 3:21 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Have no idea why it posted twice -_-

on Jul. 6 2012 at 3:20 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Actually, Earl is correct.

Theology: 1The study of the nature of God and religious belief. 2 the study of religious faith, practice, and experience


on Jul. 6 2012 at 3:20 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Actually, Earl is correct.

Theology: 1The study of the nature of God and religious belief. 2 the study of religious faith, practice, and experience


Kristen L. said...
on Jun. 14 2012 at 9:57 am
I am a canadian. Although I know how you feel, as I am Protestant, and most people don't believe what I do, a lot of people in canada are tolerant. My best friend is muslim and I truly like the fact that she believes what she does, because that's what's true for her. Please don't stereotype Canada, if you do' it's just a bad as others stereotyping saudi arabia.

on Feb. 7 2012 at 3:32 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

:) Alas....

on Feb. 7 2012 at 6:26 am
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Forgive me, I assumed that anything regarding how spirituality affects people's way of thinking and daily lives counted as theology. It appears that I was wrong. Alas.

on Feb. 7 2012 at 6:22 am
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Alright. Jolly good then. :)

on Feb. 6 2012 at 11:48 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Earl:

Rather open-minded, aren't you? :) Actually, none of the things you listed count as theology except for the one about Christ. Whether pork can be eaten falls under law/spirituality, not theology. Caliphs fall under politics/spirituality/implementation, not theology (and actually it was a big deal for the same reason that people make a big deal over whether a Republican or Democrat wins -- it reflects values and the way a people will shape themselves).

People only get into a huff about it in the SAME religious group. This is because we are all trying to follow God the best we can. Peace.

on Feb. 6 2012 at 11:44 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Yep! Lol. :)

on Feb. 6 2012 at 11:44 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Haha, who else? :) Thanks! I would totally change it now though. I kinda hate the ending. Lol. :P

on Feb. 4 2012 at 8:24 am
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

That's certainly a relief, considering the people that I've met who do. However, what fascinates me even more are people who argue over minute differences in theology, such as the material Christ was made up of, who should be the new Caliph, or whether we should eat pork or poultry or cow or people. Well, I don't approve of eating people, but I see no reason to get into a huff over such details. After all, aren't all religions, in the end, simply methods of achieving self-actualization and channeling the human capacity for love? Perhaps, perhaps not. Then again, I get into a huff when people mistake Evolution for the origin of life or the idea that we came from apes, so perhaps people are justified in rectifying ignorance of their beliefs. But then again, is it really necessary to get angry when some one isn't ignorant of your beliefs, but simply doe not agree with you on one or two details of your belief? After all, John Adams and Samuel Adams got along pretty well.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 8:15 am
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Yes it is, Destinee, and your belief is your belief. Wait...did that make sense?

on Feb. 4 2012 at 12:33 am
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I had suspicions that you might have written this Destinee! :) Nice work.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 12:32 am
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

She is very respectful in her paper. She's sharing beliefs that not everyone is aware of. Either your agree with her or you don't.

on Feb. 3 2012 at 3:49 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Of course it's silly, Earl. I certainly don't believe it. :)

on Feb. 3 2012 at 3:49 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Earl: And that's your belief. :)

on Feb. 3 2012 at 11:15 am
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Personally, I thought that the whole idea of a male, Anglo-Saxon, Pro-American God with a beard ruling the entire universe was silly, but that's just my opinion. Carry on.

on Feb. 3 2012 at 11:12 am
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Perhaps Steve doesn't know what he's talking about. But more likely he was using a hyperbole to stress the point that a puritanical fear that some one, somewhere, is actually having fun, isn't a very good way to live your life, even if it does get you to Heaven. I personally think people should be more concerned with this life right now than with any possible afterlife, because this life is the one where we can actually make a difference.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 30 2011 at 5:01 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

People who don't believe in your religion are not misguided, sorry. And no amount of converting or praying for them you do will ever change that. Respect their beliefs as they respect yours. Don't be intolerant of tolerant people.