Religion: Are they all that different? | Teen Ink

Religion: Are they all that different?

April 6, 2014
By jotunnme SILVER, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
jotunnme SILVER, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have been studying all types of religions for a little while now and I have seen that although we’re different in so many ways we all have similarities as well. We all have a figure to look up to (unless you’re agnostic or atheist), whether it’s God, Buddha, Allah, Satan, etc. We all want to become more like those figures and practice their sacred text. Now, religion can't be a religion unless they have people who practice and study it. Those followers crave happiness and acceptance; it’s only human to want that.
I have found that some (not all) followers of certain religions refuse to look at other cultures and religion because their opinion derives them as "wrong". No wrongs or rights exist when it comes to the diversity amongst the religions, despite popular biased belief. People assume stereotypes which lead towards hatred of other religions. Let's be clear, being a follower in the Islamic faith doesn't make you a terrorist or if you’re a Christian it doesn't mean you’re a nice person.
The Islamic belief does not lead towards evil nor violence but peace. Christians believe that you should love one another due to everyone being a child of God. They also believe, in fact in their bible it states, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34- 35.
7% of Muslims show terroristic actions leaving the majority repulsed by the idea of those actions. In fact, the religion itself bans it. Calling all Muslims terrorist shows ignorance. Their religion does not support the act of terrorism at all.
Goodness and evil are not equal.
Repel evil with what is better.
Then that person with whom there was hatred,
may become your intimate friend!
And no one will be granted such goodness
except those who exercise patience and self-restraint,
none but people of the greatest good fortune.
Quran 41:34-35
Some Christians follow script and show respectfulness towards everyone but some play God. Some feel superior and that they’re far better for knowing "the truth". Some treat anyone who isn’t Christian as if they’re worthless; nothing. Some even treat gays as some demon due to being different to their standards, even though their God states to love and respect everyone. They have the right to believe whatever they wish, but respect goes a long way. The Christian belief states you should love one another and be Christ like, yet some fail to do that.
We all live on this planet and we can't change that so we might as well accept everyone despite our differences. All religions, in my opinion, should live harmoniously. If you are claim to go along with any religion, follow the script. If it says be nice to everyone, be nice to everyone NOT just certain individuals. If it says to lend a helpful hand to the poor and treat them as your equal, do just as it commands.
No one’s perfect; we all have our flaws, but why show hatred to someone for being different? If that insults you, think of the similarities we all have. Like I said earlier, we all are human, we all look up to some sort of figure, and we all have hope in our certain belief. Religion fills our world with rich culture and it’s a truly beautiful thing so open your eyes and see. Religion gives us hope. The universe varies with a diverse population of people so we might as well learn to respect each other and our beliefs, even if we do not agree with it.