My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

SkirtSteak said...
Well, I feel whatever you need to do to get through.Right? If thats how you feel then good for you and Im glad that you arent afraid to show it. I do not agree with you by any means but it was nicely written and maybe you can find others that share your same views.

ak92092 said...
you got guts. excellent writing. and i COMPLETELY agree with you about most of what you said in your piece. keep writing

allieb said...
good writing but i disagree. what do you think was there before the "big bang"?

well. said...
Nov. 12, 2008 at 9:36 am:
It takes some courage to write something like this and this isn't badly written. In my opinion faith should be given a fair chance with regard to aetheism, but I don't believe any religion encourages discrimination; it is a personal choice after all.

nodiscriminate said...
Nov. 12, 2008 at 1:25 am:
I completely agree- atheism is just what makes scence to me. I find religion too questionable...to bookworm013, if your theory of energy needing a source is correct, isn't god an ultimate energy to create the universe? God would need a source too. The theory of beginning would HAVE to effect the god, or else it has a hole, and the theory collapses. If one says that a god was always there, couldn't earth ALWAYS BE THERE? why answer with something where the question applies? and great job on this... (more »)

SelahSky replied...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm :
Nodiscriminate, your comment is very interesting. But your arguments refering to the origin of energy are a wee bit weak. You are looking at the matter through your world view only. To convince someone of your opinion you must try to understand what they think. Your comments about God show a lack of understanding of His nature. The supernatural is, in fact, supernatural and thus does not need an energy source. Do you see how your argument does not even fit in? I say this... (more »)

agree'd said...
Very well written, but i must point out that believing in fate is NOT a part of all religion. I personally am christian, yet definitely do not believe in fate. Beautiful work.

LifelessSoul36 said...
Nov. 9, 2008 at 1:38 am:
As everyone else has said "very well written" indeed. I too, agree with you. I do not believe in anything solely, because it isn't just that. There are many things that people choose to believe in and I choose not to. Some people think that if you do not believe in god, you are merely a devil-worshiper, which as you know isn't true. But that is what they believe and you can't change it. I am glad people see that, since there is so much ignorance in the world now.

Hailey said...
Keep up the great writing, and stay true to your opinions

MoonCat333 said...
Nov. 7, 2008 at 9:24 am:
I believe everyone has their own right to believe (or not believe) in what they want. I, myself, am pagan. I love learning about all religions. It interests me so much in what people put their faith into.
Humans are born with a natural craving for knowledge; I think I was born with a true philosopher's brain XD I'm glad you posted this. I'm always up for learning something new.

yepinathiest said...
this is so greatly written and im glad someone said it!! thank you!!

corynn we must be in a foxhole because im atheist, and the number is growing and although you and many religous people decide to discriminate us, would you like me to lokk down on you?

bookworm013 said...
Well written-I just disagree. There is no way that the universe was just here. What ages has to have a beginning. Energy must originate from somewhere.

corynn said...
This is America, and you have a right to your own opinion. but the world is way to big for coincidences and you won't find an atheist in a foxhole. Amen

skie said...
Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:18 am:
i soo agree with you. im a tooth-fairy agnostic myself. i sy that if you can provide me with solid evidence that the tooth-fairy exists then i might consider there possibly maybe being a god. (both of which are highly unlikely but i like to make fun of ppl cuz im mean) call me athiest.

justinssocute said...
Nov. 1, 2008 at 2:48 am:
i love this peice i totally agree and its very well written good job