My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

wolfmongoose said...
Dec. 11, 2008 at 5:02 am:
I agree 100%. I remember something I heard on Malcom in the Middle and I thought it was interesting, so I looked it up so that i could remember the exact words:
--------------------------------------
Dewey: [to the Bible teacher Helen] Like Pastor Roy said, how God is so much bigger and wiser than us, and trying to see what He's thinking would be like an ant trying to see what I'm thinking.

Helen: Yes, exactly. But we can trust in His wisdom, and have faith that He ... (more »)

Gabie. said...
Haha. this is a good piece..

schoolrocks said...
great artical but you are going down some ware if you dont belevein god

holly♥ said...
this is very well written, i beleive every one is entitled to their own opinion wether it is right or not.

live love laugh said...
i belive that you should be allowed to have an opinion, but i am one that is a morman and belive in god, god can help you through your toughest triles and he loves you no matter what you belive. but in the end god will jugde you. just to let you god is real and he is in each of us. god will come again or you ready for him

hokis pokis said...
i believe that god did die for us so we should live for him, every now and then it feels good to know that on good's side, to me it feels good to have a trusty friend when i need him more than ever, i probably would'n succeed in life like i want to if he wasn't there to help

Jesus's Daughter :) said...
I think you really expressed your feelings about why you believed in what you believe in. I think you did i really good job. But if you need Strength or hope or faith jesus is always there to help you through any struggle in life. But im not trying to change your belief but you should just believe in him. God Bless You!

A_Believer said...
Dec. 5, 2008 at 2:24 am:
This is very well written, but i strongly disagree with you. I am a christian and i attend a baptist church. I was saved when i was eight and have been following God ever since. You have guts for admintting what you believe! im not trying to change anybodys or your opinion. I just dont know how you could live your life with nobody to lean on and guide you through the right path? God has always been there and always will, he is my savior and if he died for me then i should return the favor by liv... (more »)

olii said...
Dec. 4, 2008 at 5:44 am:
Your writing is so entrancing. Not only that, but I always felt somewhat alone as far as my religious views, but the way you express your sentiments caught me by surprise and made me want to look at myself upside down and backwards. Even cooler, I found, is that you live within probably 2 miles from where I live. The Rockies are the heart of my home, and the reason for the fire in my hearth. Anyway...well done and I appreciate your submitting your piece for my enjoyment!

Sincerely, ... (more »)

Kitty said...
You are right, we are in a horrible place right know. I know that ane day the lord will be coming back for his children. I don't know when, no one knowswhne it will happen, he while come and take all of his children ,how has gone on to be with him, up to heaven with him.

givepeaceachance said...
Dec. 9, 2008 at 3:38 am:
this was a really balanced and honest article, I really liked it. Its sort of annoying though that people can be so ignorant of how others feel. im an athiest and i dont have anything against religious people if they dont have anything against me, but its the most frustrating thing when they just dissmiss us like we dont know whats good for our selves, its a complete insult under a veil of good intention and its wrong.I myself think that being athiest makes me avery independant person, just like... (more »)

deadella said...
hehe good job...My thoughts exactly.

SarahSunshine said...
Nov. 25, 2008 at 1:12 am:
Hmmm... last time I checked Atheism isn't a Religion. It's not believing in anything. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm entitled to my opinion, right?

miss.bliss1 said...
Nov. 23, 2008 at 12:14 am:
I am a Wiccan and a christian.
More a Wiccan thow. I hope you can discover a religion and belive in something more powerfull then you.
God bless you and may god and the lord and lady show you the way towords the right faith what ever it may be.

Support said...
Nov. 22, 2008 at 3:18 am:
I just needed to express my happiness that this was written at all; I agree with you. As Erin said, some of the comments below really get to me. I'm not going to start ranting about why I believe what I believe, but believe me, I could. ;)

It amuses me, faintly, when people ask me, "So what do you think happens when you die?" or "Then how was the world created?" They act as though these questions completely destroy my whole belief system because I can't possibly ... (more »)

Erin said...
Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:18 am:
This was really well-written, as everyone else has said. Your beliefs match mine almost exactly. I'm halfway between being the Christian as I was raised to be, and an atheist. I can't make myself believe in God. The comments, to be honest, are making me a little mad. You don't sound confused, you sound like you know exactly what you’re talking about. People are assuming you haven't "given faith a chance" or that you "know nothing about God." Why can't we all just respec... (more »)

christianchik said...
Nov. 19, 2008 at 12:29 am:
alright well this is well writen and it's fine for u to have ur own opinion but i'm prayin for u because even though u think u dont need god you do so hopefully you realize that. adimire ur guts for writin this though even though i think youre confused. by the way to comment on what skie said about being a tooth-fairy agnostic, you cant see or touch friendship or true love or courage or bravery but that doenst mean they dont exist! god bless you

scared for you said...
how can you believe when you no nothing about god. research before you dismiss .ask a pastor question . ask a believer.
i new nothing for 40 years then decided to check it out gave it a chance now i believe .

Childoftheking said...
Well written. I agree with believeinhim, you are obviously confused. I disagree with your atheism, but remember, when you are caught in situation when all your life seems like a lost cause, and hope is fro aught look up to God. He'll get you through...trust me, I've been you before. Remember, God loves you.

believeinhim said...
Well written, but i disagree. you are obviously very confused. the world didnt just pop out of nowhere. to everything, theres a creation.