My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

heffernanchitown said...
Feb. 27, 2009 at 7:01 pm:
Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life

sanra said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm:
I agree, i mean people will alway want you to be in their religion, and you know what? people that does that thinks they're helping, but for me, or anyone who are guided like this usually kind of like they are being brain-washed or something. Lke you said, i don't trully believe in Allah(god) as much as my parents wants me to.Or fate or anything that is just to-hapen, i believe that anything that hapens has a cause and i's not just fate or whatever.

Meagan said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 1:16 am:
Quote bookworm013:
"Well written-I just disagree. There is no way that the universe was just here. What ages has to have a beginning. Energy must originate from somewhere."

The universe came from a compressed ball of matter, it was never "just here". It has aged and it did have a beginning.

write4life replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 11:21 am :
Where do you think the ball of matter come from? How do you think it aged and developed into what it is today?

Meagan said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 1:14 am:
While I may not agree with all of what you say, this was a really good piece! I don't think it's respectable of other people to try to force their religions down your throat or say you need to "try church aat least once!" because if it's not for you...it's not for you. I'm agnostic and really could care less about religion. I, like you, can get through my own harships because I know I caused it. No one chose for me how I'd screw up and how I'd succeed; I choose that everyday... (more »)

xXsmileXx said...
Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm:
I like the idea fo this piece, and i like that your mission wasn't to change anyone, but of course i disagree ith some of it. I won't talk to you about God or the Devil...but about fate. i believe in fate, but i also believe it can be altered based on certain actions. think about that at least. Because, for me, life or love without destiny is hopeles and empty.

Amyyy said...
Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:17 am:
please believe that God loves you so much that He sent His son to die for you so you can live forever in heaven! You've got to believe that heaven and hell are very real! Satan has you under his control-don't let it be that way. You probably think that Christians are so uncool and too goody goody. I'm nothing like that and I have many cool, awesome friends. Please-you should go to church sometime. Yes, some churches are very boring, but they preach the truth. God loves you soooo much!!!!

TheDarthEgg replied...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm :
I'm sorry, but you could really do better than that. Why would a person (like myself) who denies the existence of God or Satan believe that they were under the influence of the latter? You could stand to provide evidence that we atheists are really devil's puppets, and please don't quote the Bible when you do.

i-go-by-syd replied...
Oct. 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm :
AMEN SISTER!!!!!
I have started a prayer list for people on the internet. I'm gonnna thank god for you

In 2 Deep said...
Feb. 11, 2009 at 3:27 am:
That was a great story but i know that is ur O.P. but i think u shoiuld try chruch at least once. I go to chruch 2 times a week and i LOVE it! i have a good verse 4 u, John 3:16 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son. All those who belive in him shall not die but will have eternal life." thanks! In 2 deep

maza.love said...
Feb. 10, 2009 at 7:55 pm:
This is wonderful! I completely agree! Great job.

D*R said...
Feb. 9, 2009 at 5:03 am:
I greatly respect you, for stating you opion in such a respectful way. I know that I could have never done it. Yes I do agree with, for the reason stated but also for others. I have never been able to have faith in any thing...weather it be Santa or God, with out fact, you can check and recheck it means nothing to me. And if i do go to Hell for not blindly diveing in to something I had no faith in anyway, well at least all my friends will be there too, maybe we'll take over.

KitKat said...
i am an atheist as well. i am fourteen years old and my entire family is catholic with the exception of me. and RoyalKalibar, i have gone to church and read stories from the bible. it didn't seem realistic to me at all. the bible was probably written by some creative minds who weren't smart enough to find things out scientifically. have you ever noticed that the stories of other historical events are ever-changing as more is discovered but nothing new ever comes up about the stories in t... (more »)

Carolina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 7:31 pm :
The Bible was God inspired and is actually more reliable than other manusripts. For instance, take the Dead Sea scrolls. They were found in 1947 and they contain the entire Old Testament, with the exception of Esther, almost word for word with other manuscripts. The Bible is very accurate.

RoyalKalibar said...
Although Methodist, I like the way you wrote the article, but disagree with it. I do not like forcing my religion onto other people. If they don't want to be saved by the Lord, fine their choice, or if they refuse to believe in Him. Thats their choice, not mine and I feel as though I have no right to change that. I find it different though to preach my religion then to force it onto someone. That line though, is sometimes hard to determine. I'm not going to sit here saying if only you knew how m... (more »)

Atheist=Genesis=Forever said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:09 am:
I agree with you completly. Honest to everything that isn't religious. People(a.k.a My Friends) think I'm stupid or something. I'm not stupid. Neither are they. They have their beliefs and I have mine. Atheist forever~G. Vargas

abc said...
god is real

rjlanekljmad said...
I like the article but disagree with the beliefs.

freakpride46 said...
I agree with you completely! Some people have God and that's great, but I have myself and I can figure out right and wrong on my own, thanks.

Hailey said...
I don't agree with you, and I'm really not sure how to present a good argument, except that God has always been and always will be. If there were no trouble in life, there would be no reason to live.