Homosexuality- From a Biblical Christian Standpoint | Teen Ink

Homosexuality- From a Biblical Christian Standpoint

May 7, 2013
By Liz Bates BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Liz Bates BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Homosexuality- from a Biblical Christian Standpoint



In today’s society, more and more people are becoming openly homosexual. Surrounding this, of course, is a wild debate- is it right? Some say yes (let them be who they are!), some say no (it just isn’t right!). There’s even controversy surrounding the issue within the Christian community. With so many mixed messages, it’s hard to know what to think.



With a quick inspection of the bible, it’s easy to conclude that sin is everywhere, and that it’s condemned, but is homosexuality a sin? Biblical evidence points to yes.



For instance, the bible, in multiple places, identifies homosexuality as a sin. Such as: Romans 1:26-27 – “Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error”. Also, 1st Corinthians 6:9 says “Do you not know that sinners will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men.”



In addition to verses, many pastors and other Christian figures have a say on homosexuality. Bible scholar and youth pastor Dan Hanselman states “I believe that homosexuality is a sin and goes against God’s design for mankind and marriage”. In a more scientific view, another bible scholar and church elder states that in addition to being ungodly, homosexuality “is not ‘normal’ behavior in that it does not fulfill the key natural purpose of any and all creatures; to procreate and continue the species”.



These verses and quotes clearly show that homosexuality is, in God’s eyes, a sin. This is important because with homosexuality becoming more and more common, kids in their teens trying to figure out who they’re going to be might be influenced. For Christian teens at least, a Godly perspective in the picture could be helpful.



Some Christians may scoff at these verses, claiming that the bible is thousands of years old, and therefore not credible. However, the Bible is a book that can never be outdated. It covers the entirety of life on earth, from the beginning (Genesis) to the end (Revelation). It’s not a storybook from long ago with rules that people followed back then. It’s a guidebook for life-no matter who you are or what denomination you’re in.



So the bible says homosexuality is a sin. What do we do about it? Well, as Christians, we are called to share God’s message with the world, with sinners (Mark 16:15 He said to them “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.”), and to pray that the seed takes root. Also, we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves. This means that being mean to someone isn’t ok, for any reason, even if they have views that oppose ours. So here’s what Christians are supposed to do: Love your neighbor and share God’s word.