Read the Scriptures! | Teen Ink

Read the Scriptures!

1st Nephi 19:23 “ And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.”

Everything I read in the scriptures, I try to apply into my life, especially in seminary last year. Every day we were asked: “How does this apply to you? How can you be like this prophet?” Well, I can be like Nephi by doing as he instructs, to liken the scriptures to my life. This is how I gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon. How can the Book of Mormon not be true if you apply it to your life, and your life is changed for the better?

L. Tom Perry said: “Now it is up to us to study the Book of Mormon and learn of its principles and apply them in our lives.”

I've applied scriptures to my life. Some of my favorite applications will be shared.
Mosiah 2:41 “And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.”

Richard G. Hinckley, of the Seventy, once said:“When I read the Book of Mormon, something inevitably happens to me. My burdens feel lighter. Faith and hope replace my worries, concerns, and doubts. Life appears brighter.”

When I think about the blessed and happy state of those who are faithful and keep the commandments of God, then I think of seminary. Everyone always showed up to seminary in a good attitude, and you could see their faces shine. Before seminary I would try to read my scriptures, and if I focus well that morning, I’d try again before band practice. On the days I read before band practice, those were some of the times we practiced and preformed the best as a unit. If scripture reading slipped my mind a few times that week, then those were the times we practiced poorly. I am the only tenth grader that I know that skips up and down the hallways to band, with or without an instrument in hand. The spiritual blessings I receive are knowledge of the gospel and growing a stronger testimony. I always try to have a good attitude.

Alma 19:17 “Thus, having been converted to the Lord, and never having made it known, therefore, when she saw that all the servants of Lamoni had fallen to the earth, and also her mistress, the queen, and the king, and Ammon lay prostrate upon the earth, she knew that it was the power of God; and supposing that this opportunity, by making known unto the people what had happened among them, that by beholding this scene it would cause them to believe in the power of God, therefore she ran forth from house to house, making it known unto the people.”

Abish saw the opportunity to share the gospel. I see opportunities to serve and share the gospel every day. A month or so after school started, I decided for a goal of the day to walk up to a random girl in the hallway and talk to them. There was this girl walking by herself, onto seventh period. I walked up to her and said “Hey, how has your day been?” She and I began to talk, and we figured out we were in the same art class, which was the next period. I invited her to sit with us at my table, instead of being by herself in the back. She sat at my table everyday for the rest of the year. I have always seen a smile on her face.

2nd Nephi 11:13 “And my brother, Jacob, also has seen him as I have seen him; wherefore, I will send their words forth unto my children to prove unto them that my words are true. Wherefore, by the words of three, God hath said, I will establish my word. Nevertheless, God sendeth more witnesses, and he proveth all his words.”

Out of the mouths of many, the same truth comes. I have been told by many that the gospel and the Book of Mormon are true. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know the Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Christ, just like the New and Old Testament, it testifies of Christ’s life and ministry on earth.

Henry B. Erying has said:“The Book of Mormon will change your life. I would like to explain why I know that is true: The book itself is the most wonderful curriculum we have—not only from the point of view of the student, but from the point of view of the teacher.”2
Alma 5:12 “And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart. Behold I say unto you that this is all true.”

Jeffery R Holland has said: “It was the Book of Mormon that changed my life, told me the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored, and immersed me in the Church, heart and soul.”

I have experienced changes in my life, and I know all these things are true. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know when I read the Book of Mormon, it strengthens my testimony. I know when I read the Book of Mormon, it brightens my day. I know what the Book of Mormon teaches is true. I have applied things from the Book of Mormon into my life and watched others and myself grow happier. I have seen the blessings and promises of the Book of Mormon fulfilled. It is my challenge to you to finish reading the Book of Mormon this year. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

This is a talk I gave in church about why the scriptures are important.

1)L. Tom Perry, “Blessings Resulting from Reading the Book of Mormon,” Oct. 2005 general conference
2)Henry B. Eyring, “The Book of Mormon Will Change Your Life,” Liahona, Feb. 2004
3)Richard G. Hinckley, “Fruits of the Book of Mormon,”Liahona, June 2008
4)Jeffrey R. Holland, “True or False,” Liahona, June 1996
http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon?lang=eng