Religion and Morality

It's really funny how we assume that religion has the moral high ground.We presume that without religion there would be no morality.
Doing so we overlook a basic fact : Morality precedes religion. There are many examples to prove this; but let me not go into the lengthy details and bore you.Instead allow me to quote one of my fellow bloggers :

One of the biggest misunderstandings theists have when thinking about our ability to separate what’s right and wrong, is believing that humans were zapped with this capacity out of the blue and anything they did with from then on must be attributed to their religious views.
All this apart.
How would you like it if your children or your siblings be taught the value of human life by a murderer?
How would you like it if they were being taught fairness by a thief?
Not to Covet by a hedonist?

How would you like it?

Not very well, I suppose?

Yet, this is what teaching morality through religion precisely is!

In case you have any doubts :

If you derive your morality from the Bible : Read : 1 Timothy 2:12, 2 Kings 2: 23 -24 ,Deuteronomy 22: 28

Or, to spare you the trouble in the words of Dawkins

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction. Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic-cleanser; a misogynistic homophobic racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomania-cal ....

Or, Bishop John Shelby Spong

The New Testament portrays Paul as believing that slavery is good if it is kind. Paul also reveals attitudes toward women that are today deeply embarrassing: "I forbid a woman to have authority over a man." "Women should keep quiet in church."
If you derive your morality from the Koran : Read: 4:034, Sura 33:52. , Sura (5:51) ,Suras 4:3 and 33:50

Again to save you all the trouble WikiIslam says :

The Qur'an justifies and permits many things which we would consider as immoral in today's world. These include; hatred of Homosexuals,lying, pedophilia, polygamy, racism, religious discrimination, terrorism, violence against women, slavery and rape. Of course, even when presented with the relevant Qur'anic evidence, such statements will be ignored by many as Islamophobic nonsense.

Hinduism ? Just read what your Manusmriti says about caste and women.

That I suppose should cover around 4-5 billion deluded souls.

As for staying good without God(s) there are many outstanding examples which include Bill Gates , Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffet so on and so forth. They donate billions to charity.They are good without God.

To paraphrase Einstein : Do not look surprised at those who are good without God but pity those who need God to be good.

In case you think that without religion a nation will lose its stability because of lawlessness' then think again.

The countries in Europe where less than 50% answered yes to believing that there is a god were Estonia 16%, Czech Republic 19%, Sweden 23%, Denmark 31%, Norway 32%, France and Netherlands 34%, Latvia and Slovenia 37%, UK and Iceland 38%, Bulgaria 40%, Finland 41%, Belgium 43%, Luxembourg and Hungary 44%, Germany 47%, Switzerland 48% and Lithuania 49%.
These countries are ranked 31, 25, 3, 4, 5, 17, 8, 37, 20, 12, (Iceland not listed), 46, 1, 13, 27 (Luxembourg not listed), 14, 2, (Lithuania not listed), overall an impressive average of 16.5 for 16 countries on the Legatum Prosperity Index as this includes areas such as safety and security, democratic governance, personal freedom and social capital among others.

Moral high ground, Religion?

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 18 at 9:54 am:
I guess its a nice article, but your logic build up is weak. When you write this kind of article, you shouldn't worry about boring us. Chances are, the people who will read this article want to get all riled up or get their hands on a new argument against God. 

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 18 at 9:57 am :
Also, your sources are wrong. I'm sure Dawkins read the Bible, it would extremely embarrasing if he didn't. But his accusations are completely absurd and ridiculous. 

Aron said...
Feb. 17 at 2:14 am:
That was one hell of a dose to swallow for people who assume moral high ground on the basis of religion.A fine job.Commendable.