Without Love | Teen Ink

Without Love

By kaseymariah BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
kaseymariah BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado

One of the most common and over used words in the English language is one of the most difficult to define or to explain. Even so, people use it on a daily basis in all sorts of different contexts, which gives the word less meaning and significance. This single four letter word can be the difference between happiness and despair, loneliness and companionship, yet we also use it to illustrate our preference in paint color or what kind of toppings we enjoy on our pizza. If we eliminated the world love from our dictionary, imagine the adjectives and diverse vocabulary we would learn to employ!

For some mysterious reason, no one can define love; it is different for every individual. The literal definition of “love” as stated by Google is “An intense feeling of deep affection.” I may love my puppy, and I may love cheesecake, but is that really the best way to describe your devotion and feelings for one another? What about those butterflies in the pit of your stomach, or the way your heart beats when you see the person of your dreams? What about those doodles on the side of your paper? Can a single word completely sum up how you feel for your spouse, even though it has no concrete definition?

Riddle me this; envision the average trip to the grocery store. Walking through the aisles, the voice inside your head commentates your preferences for particular food items. “Ice cream! I love ice cream!” Wait, wait, wait… did you really just use the same word to describe ice cream as you used this morning to ensure your wife of your loyalty ‘til death do you part? Yes, yes you did. Now, envision walking through the grocery store after “love” ceases to exist. “Wow, look at that ice cream! I sure do enjoy that dairy product of creamy goodness, I do believe I will have to partake in some of that deliciousness.” Now, isn’t that better? Not only is your vocabulary exponentially expanded, but you certainly didn’t express your affection toward ice cream in the same manner as you would your wife. You might have said to her, “Goodbye sweetheart, my one and only!” Isn’t that more romantic than an eight letter sentence that required no thought to form?

There is absolutely no question that English speakers will benefit from the elimination of “love.” Our vocabularies will be expanded, our devotions more obvious, and we will be able to properly define our feelings. "If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand." - Unknown (Now that’s more like it.)