Christianity's Problem with Homosexuality | Teen Ink

Christianity's Problem with Homosexuality

August 9, 2012
By Anonymous

Christianity, in general, has a problem when it comes to dealing with homosexuality. As a Christian teen who has grown up in a Christian home, gone to a Roman Catholic church, and attended a Christian school all her life, I can say this with a large degree of confidence. I only have to go to school to be reminded of this problem. Christianity’s big problem with homosexuality is that most who consider themselves Christians don’t act or think appropriately when it comes to dealing with individuals who are homosexual.

The problem starts with the fact that the Bible flat out states that homosexuality is wrong.
“Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!”
-Leviticus 18:22
Here lies the question that all Christians end up asking: How does a Christian deal with a homosexual person when the Bible strictly says that homosexuality is wrong? This is a question that troubles many Christians today. Some choose to ignore the fact that the Bible says it’s wrong, others find themselves flip-flopping between being supportive of the LGBT community and being against it. Some people choose to answer the question by going on a modern-day crusade against homosexuality (Westboro Baptist Church is an extreme and, thankfully, uncommon example of this). The answer, though, to the question itself is actually quite simple. A Christian should treat a homosexual person exactly the same way they should treat anyone else- with love and respect.
The fact of the matter is that if you truly believe the Bible, you have to believe that we live in a fallen sinful world; you have to believe that it is human nature to be sinful. People don’t choose to be homosexual, they are born that way. People don’t choose to have a sinful nature, they were born that way. Being homosexual is not, in it of itself, a sin. However, committing homosexual acts is. There are many gay Christians in the world who decide to remain celibate. Even if you do commit a homosexual act, how is that any different from any other sin? The Bible says that all sin is equal. Therefore there is no justification for the one who bullies, hurts, or discriminates against a homosexual, because that person is just as sinful.
Though, the fact that all are sinful isn’t the real reason why Christians should love and respect homosexual people. Part of the problem that Christians have when it comes to dealing with homosexuals is that we view them as just that- homosexuals. Homosexuals as opposed to straight, us as opposed to them. We don’t stop and look at them for who they are- beautiful, wonderful human beings who were created by God. We look at them and think, “homosexual” and not “human”. The Bible commands Christians to “Love thy Neighbor.” Neighbor meaning fellow human being. You can’t stop loving someone just because they sin, because then you wouldn’t be able to love anyone-not even yourself. Someone once said that Love was “treating someone with eternity in mind.” If a Christian truly believes in God and the Bible, then he has to look at everyone as someone whom he will potentially be spending forever with in Heaven. Newsflash, Westboro, gay people can go to heaven. That is why the Bible says, “For God so loved the World that he gave his one and only Son...” and not “For God so loved the heterosexuals that he gave his one and only Son…” According to the Bible, Christ died for all sins, past and present. Anyone who truly believes that fact goes to Heaven, even if they are gay.
In short, Christianity in general often has a problem when it comes to dealing with homosexuality. Christians, and humans in general, really, look at others and put a label on them instead of admitting that they are fellow human beings. Christians need to learn to think of and treat homosexuals as their fellow human beings instead of classifying them by their sin. Because homosexuals are human beings and because all sin is equal, there is no excuse for homophobia.