In Darwin We Trust | Teen Ink

In Darwin We Trust

February 11, 2012
By _emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey
_emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey
9 articles 3 photos 111 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're going through hell, keep going."


“In a secret research facility deep under Mount Everest, cures for cancer and other severe diseases were being made. The only reason they were never sent out to hospitals or medical homes, is because of the company’s overly religious boss, Ted Randal. Many of the scientists at the facility don’t understand how a man like that even got into a science lab, let alone become the boss of a giant organization. Mr. Randal only believes that God can cure cancer, and so he would never give out the remedies they have concocted. Only he has this point of view in the factory, because, of course, In Darwin We Trust…” Science is better than religion. Firstly, with science, everything is more clear and easy to understand. Secondly, religion isn’t required learning. Science is, and it’s simpler to teach. Did God cure smallpox or was science responsible? An earthquake is created when God sneezes, or Earth’s tectonic plated moved the ground? Did Franklin really discover electricity, or did God just get tired of us walking around in the dark? Lastly, science gives you a logical answer. According to the Bible, the Earth has only been around for a few thousand of years; however, the fossils we study are millions of years old. Only with science can you get a rational answer.
First of all, science explains everything more clearly. 90% of the things we believed that God was responsible for, can now be explained scientifically. How does a tree breathe and live? It’s not His work, it’s photosynthesis. How are lion cubs born? Not from Heaven’s clouds and storks, but from reproduction. For example, eclipses are specific rotations of planets and their moons, not a message from God. For thousands of years, people were convinced that various phenomena was God’s doing, however nowadays science opened a door that gave us explanations of how things work for and impact us.
Secondly, science is an important, required class that is simple to teach. Students can have a hands-on education with science. More than 45% of schools out there love and conduct experiments and create theories that help them understand the world around them. With religion, it’s kind of almost like teaching students lies. They can’t really rely on religion to explain everything going around them. It’s like telling puppies they can’t play fetch. It’s like telling Jay-Z he can’t rap. It’s like telling kids chocolate isn’t good; it’s just inconceivable.
Last but not least, you can always get a rational answer about something from science. 75% of people get stunned when they are asked to explain something religiously. A rough 20% don’t even know how to explain how the Earth was created religiously. For example, you may have an explanation on how hurricanes form, but can the religious information always be legit? You can have a million answers if you try to explain something scientifically. The bottom line is believe what you want to believe, but trust what is right.
In a nutshell, science is better than religion. First of all, science is more understandable. Secondly, science is a required class, and it’s simpler to teach. Last but not least, religion may not always have the best answer. “WAHHH! WAHHH! WAHHH!” cried the ambulance’s siren. The man in the trunk was severely injured, having “fallen” off a three story building. Nurses rushed him to the emergency room, their worn-out sneakers slapping on the beige tile floor. Dr. Cyrus ran into the operating room where the patient was groaning on a hospital bed.
“Listen up now.” says Dr.Cyrus, “You need to be immediately treated, but first… do you believe in God or do you believe in me?” As Darwin always said, “We must adapt or die, but that is the only way we were ever created.”