Christianity isn't mere religion, relationship is the key

I have heard many people talk about religion this and religion that and what belief system is concerted in the group of religion. Hinduism, Buddhist, Muslim, but to be honest I’m getting sick and tired hearing that Christianity is a “religion”. it’s like ashes in my mouth that leaves a bad taste! This is what many other Christians and I call it that is probably mentioned elsewhere in Teenink, a relationship. What does a relationship have to do with Christianity? Many times in the bible it mentions how God wants us to be with him, not apart from him with a wall. You know those Ten Commandments? Those were given to the Jews not because they need to follow the rules to follow him but because they wanted rules instead of a relationship with God when he wanted that from the start. In the book of John, Jesus say they will abide in me and me in them he was talking about how we are a part of him and him in us, in order for that to happen we have to have a relationship with Jesus because it takes two to begin the process. In order to know God we have to have a relationship with him. Like a kind between a kid with their parent or even between a married couple. Both sides have to work hard to continue to have a good relationship which requires trust, wholeheartedness, authority, but also love. God already did his part so it’s out job to do our part to work our relationship with him and man, he’s crazy about us. He does not want to let us go but have all of us. He gets excited about you and cheers you on when you are doing well and comforts you when you are hurt. He will give wisdom when you need some and will act as a parent disciplining their children when you did wrong. It’s the one on one connection between the believer and God that should really be called a relationship, not a religion for a religion is putting God in a nice little box only to take out on a Sunday. God does not stay in a box, he consumes the box and everything else around it. So in other words, Christianity shouldn’t be put into the religion category, it’s in it’s own. The relationship category.

MortifiedFlesh said...

Honestly...this is silly. The definition of religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Christianity is every single one of those things. I rest my case.

AngelGal07 replied...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:07 am :
I'm not defining reglion, i'm defining what's Gods definition of a relationship with us. yes that might be the definition of religion but what i'm putting out there of what i think Christianity should be labled as. it might be silly to you but to others, they completely agree with me. 

MortifiedFlesh replied...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm :
Yes, but when you put the blanket of "Christianity" over the whole thing, you have to realize you are covering many different sects of the same religion. Protestants, evangelicals, latter-day saints, lutherans, and many many more. All of these religions are under the blanket term "Christianity" and yet they sharevery little in common....they have many different customs, laws, and practices. You have to remember that you can't just claim to own Christianity and what it is....you're speaking for A... (more »)

AngelGal07 replied...
today at 2:39 pm :
people who claim to be christain made what the world knows of christainity a religion. Yes there is many different forms of christainity but that's because they can't really agree on one things. they have to have many different beliefs just because they would rather fight than realize that having a realashionship with God is more importaint than fighting about it. Religion is rules and traditions that keep people in order, from ever stepping out, and can and is a form of control. God is ... (more »)

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I 95% agree;)  I do think that Christian is a religion, which seems to be a term for belief system - but the actual living part, that's the relationship.  Being a Christian means being in a relationship with God, which is your religion.  Did that make sense?  It's both, but yeah, I don't like it when people stress the religion aspect.

AngelGal07 replied...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:10 am :
I get from where your coming from and it does make sense. yes it might be thought as a religion because that is how most of the world see it as because so many christians don't have a  real relationship with God. Thanks for agreeing with me even if it's 95% =)

daughterofeve14 said...
Oct. 26, 2011 at 8:41 am:
100% agree. (:

AngelGal07 replied...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:07 am :
Thank you =)

daughterofeve14 replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 8:54 am :
Your Welcome. Everyone thinks its all about religion and tradition, but for me its not. To me God is like my Daddy in Heaven. They call him in Father in the Bible dont they? Exactly.(: