...Why? | Teen Ink

...Why?

May 5, 2011
By Alyssa Simmons BRONZE, Lockport, New York
Alyssa Simmons BRONZE, Lockport, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

First things first I would like to say that I do not want to offend anyone with this but this is something that I feel very strongly about. I do not judge anyone with beliefs different than mine, I just wish they would open their minds and see what I’m saying.

Growing up, my parents never forced any certain religion on me. They wanted me to feel free to believe in whatever I felt was right for me, when the time was right for me. Being older now I greatly appreciate the freedom they gave me, it gave me a chance to explore what’s out there. As a child I would go to church with my friend about two times a week. I wanted to be a Christian and I wanted believe in God…just like everyone else. I did this for a very long time, trying to force self into believing in something that I just did not agree with. Even at the young age of 9 years old, I honestly could not bring myself to believe he was up there. I would pray every night before bed knowing deep down inside no one was listening, I tried so hard for something that would show me. That never came. I stopped going after a while because I no longer felt the need to lie to myself. To me, he was not there, so why pretend? It’s not that I dislike God or anyone who does believe, or even the things they believe in. It’s just that I hate the idea of religion. To me, I see it being similar to a cult, a person who is manipulative enough to get a bunch of people willing to live their lives based on what that person says. I understand that a lot of people need something to believe in, or have been brought up that way, but what I don’t understand is why more people don’t question their religion. Your told your supposed to believe in God so most people just do. Because if you don‘t, they see you as a bad person. Or a lost person who should be saved. I think they are the ones in need of a little saving.

Now, there are thousands of completely different religions in the world believing in very different things. They all can’t be true... Why does everyone think there’s is the right one? I know why, they just follow what they are told. Religion has been so well known for so long that people just go along with it I think, but that’s just me. Most people see religion as a good thing. A helpful thing. Or, something that they are just simply afraid of. When in reality it is the cause of many of the problems through out the world. And what I believe the reason that world peace will never be achieved. Just think about all of the wars throughout world history that were caused because of religious disputes…quite a few of them, huh? If religion and “faith” is such a good thing, why does it create so much anger and confrontation between people? It just divides people, giving them something to hate others for.

Our own country was attacked by terrorists who willingly flew themselves into our buildings just to kill as many of us as they could…why? They said it was for their religious beliefs. How could anyone do something so horrible because of something that is supposed to be a good thing? Surly makes me question things a bit. I like to use this metaphor as a simple comparison that’s easy to understand. To me, believing in god is like believe in Santa Claus. Mind you when I was 4 I told my mother Santa wasn’t real because it was impossible for him to travel all over the world in one night and that he couldn’t always be watching if your naughty or nice…he didn’t have that many eyes. She was sincerely shocked this came out of her 4 year old mouth, but hey, I was right wasn’t I? Well anyway, your told to be good all year so on Christmas you’ll get presents. But if your bad then you get coal. Same with religion. If you follow the guidelines given to you by your religion, then you get to go to heaven and have a pefect afterlife. But if you disobey or do something that your religion does not approve of, your doomed in hell forever. Personally, even if I did believe in heaven, you should be able to get in by simply being a good person and living an honest life. It’s your life, why should you have to follow someone else’s guidelines on the way you should live your life?

I just cannot comprehend how people can you base their lives and actions on something that they have never, seen, felt, or heard? I know I won’t believe until I see it. Haven’t you ever heard the saying “Don’t always believe what you hear.“? If there was a god, why is the world such a terrible place? Religious people say “We did it to ourselves.” or “It’s how god wanted it.”. They always seem to have some kind of answer to these kinds of questions, never completely answering the question. Why would what can control everything on Earth let all the terrible things happen to such innocent and good people? Why not just the bad ones? Why would he allow a little girl to get hit by a car, or raped? She never did anything to deserve that, she didn’t “Do it to herself”… Why would he allow so much hunger through out the world? How can he sit there “watching over everything”, and at the same time do nothing about it. If there was a god, honestly I don’t think that he is very nice. I know that if I could control absolutely everything, the world wouldn’t be this way.

Religion is something that has always infuriated me. It’s supposed to help people, but I only see it do harm. Unfortunately, I can’t change what everyone in the world believes. Nor am I trying to, I just wish that there was a way for me to get through to them, just to get them to question what they think to be true. To open their minds to other ideas. I want people to really think about it. Not be afraid that if they start to question these things that there going straight to hell. I think a lot of people have more of a fear of god than a real honest faith in god. These religions have been around for thousands of years…they became a way of life for people. I’ve never been one to follow the crowd, and I never will be. I will live my life the way I see fit. I’m a good person because I want to be not because “god” wants me to be. I would rather live my life the way I feel is right so I am happy while I am alive, than to just follow everyone else and live the way god would like in hopes that I’ll be happy in heaven after I’m dead. I do not believe in religion. I believe in life, happiness, and honesty. When we die, I believe we just die. And that does not scare me. It’s just life. Life is what you make it to be, not what someone else tells you to do. At least I get to live mine on my own standards and enjoy what short time I have. Why can’t more people see life for what it really is?