Evolution in Schools

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

ThereIsAHeaven said...
I got a question for you, who came up with this theory evolution? I read the article, but highly doubt what it stated.  

Sydney B. replied...
May 16, 2011 at 5:27 am
Could you explain your cycle thing a bit better?

ThereIsAHeaven replied...
Okay. Like everything was created by atoms and such. So what created atoms? God did, because with atoms He made life. It is hard to describe, but I know what I'm talking about. Like this: God created atoms; which became protons and electrons and matter and anti-matter, thus creating life as we know. Do you get what I mean? Like I said before, it's hard to explain but I know what I'm talking about. It's like this endless cycle in life.  

Sydney B. replied...
I believe God created atoms but when he created Earth he actually created the animals at the time like in Genesis.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Why is it impossible for evolution to be a truth if you acknowledge the existence of such scientific entities as atoms and anti-matter? It seems that you are attempting to use science to disprove a theory which is logically sound.

ThereIsAHeaven replied...
This is where I break neutrality. I believe in God. I question evolution because I find it silly. I personally think it could be corrected. Put God back into things such as these. We are not related to apes. We are sparated from them. Evolution is a way to describe how God created us and everything else, but there are things I disagree with. We humans did not "evolve" from animals. God created us in His image. End of story! Not only that, just don't teach evolution and creationism in schools, it... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
You find evolution silly! You know what I find silly, a big man who sits up in the cloud all day, killing people and tormenting them into believeing in somthing as silly and insane as to have  only have been dreamt up by an inmate in an insane asylum.

Kratos replied...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 7:37 am
You know what I think of you, a silly little child saying silly ridiculous little things. Go.d will have no place for you in heaven with that attitude.

Dreamboat replied...
If god exists, and this is a big if, I almost hesitate to use the word, why would he punnish those who try to seek the truth and teach the truth to others? On the other hand if god is so omnipotent why would he create silly little people like me to question you about your silly beliefs? Also If god is really omnipotent, can he create a rock which he can not lift? And don't just give a reckless answer, think about it. Omnipotents is a self-defeating principle. In a world where god really does exi... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:04 am
Okay. Well if you had read my last post you would have seen the statement "Can god create a rock that even he can not lift?" Well if you thought about that statement and tried to answer it you would see that omnipotence is an impossible thing in this universe. And if you look in the bible the "source" of logic you would see that it says that god is omnipotent. These two contradicting statements would normally lead to an inability to make a desicon, but oh wait, one is a book writen thousands of ... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
I am glad that you got into the collage of your choice, thats great! Well I dont really have anything left to say. It seems that you refused to read my posts and dont accept logic (you know, that thing the bible is full of) so yea, have a nice time in collage.

Psalm_57:4 replied...

Thanks for that. Bi.ble is logic, but you refuse to learn truth and reject it. It's a shame that you would choose He.ll and s.in over Go.d and salv.ation. I hope your conscience is guilty doing that.  

P.S.- check out the Bi.ble verse that is my screen name. 

Dreamboat replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:52 am
Interesting but what I fail to see is the reason or logic in throwing away a system of examining ideas that has worked since the Greeks came up with it. What I am talking about is logic and the way that it is applicable to god. Even if my tounge is as sharp as a spear, I think that you can deal with it and try to argue your point.

Dreamboat replied...
Would you mind not using my user name? It's like identity theft and very childish.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2011 at 10:25 am
Although that I believe in creationism, I think that neither should be taught as fact in schools.  If this really was a Christian nation, then it would be awesome for Christian beliefs of the origin of the world to be taught as fact.  However, it's not, and since many many people do believe in evolution, and since both creationisma and evolution are both scientific theories, I think they should both be taught as such in schools.  And everyone can choose which to believe in.  ... (more »)

Sydney B. replied...
That's how I am, mostly. Both or neither. Thank you!

Dreamboat replied...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:05 am
Creationism isnt a scientific theory. It is just a story. Any scientist can tell you that.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i'm sorry, but it is a theory, and any creationist/uniformitarianism scientist will tell you that.  there is evidence for both theories(though i think some of evolution's evidence is more for creationism).  i advise you to look up more about the subject before you say something like that.  really, i get educated all the time on here.  :)

Dreamboat replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:05 am
Okay, I think I understand what you think but a theory is the highest form of an idea. Something that was beleived wrong but then was tested to a point where it is impossible to disprove. Obviously some theory turn out to be wrong but others stand strong for years or decades. If anything creationism is a hypothois or something else but is certinly not a theory.

Well, that is your opinion, even if it's not a scientific one.  I'm not going to go into details about creationism because frankly, I don't like science and would probably do a botched job.  I stick by what I said, though, and I feel like whenever people try and put down creationism instead of proving evolutionism they are just trying to fight back in a way that they can.  I'm not saying that's what you're doing, it just seems that way.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Creationism as it is literally described in the Bible is actually not considered to be a scientific theory per se because a theory is an "if-then" statement. I suppose you could have it be a "if God exists then he created animals" type thing, but honestly, though I think that creationism is a fascinating idea and I do believe in God, it doesn't discuss how a species could die out or how new ones could come up; for instance, dinosaurs? Also, for one to take creationism scientifically literally, o... (more »)