Evolution in Schools | Teen Ink

Evolution in Schools

By sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio
sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity.

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

I wrote this for my English class. We were told to write a paper on a subject we were passionate about.

Dreamboat said...
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

You find evolution silly! You know what I find silly, a big man who sits up in the cloud all day, killing people and tormenting them into believeing in somthing as silly and insane as to have  only have been dreamt up by an inmate in an insane asylum.

Sythan BRONZE said...
Sythan BRONZE, Livermore, California

"Do not fear to blister if you live a life in flame"

Umm, No. This country wasn't founded on Christianity. The Founding Fathers were Deists. They refused to allow America to fall under the pretext of any organized religion, seeing how religion can tear peaceful countries apart.

Dreamboat said...
on Jun. 2 2011 at 9:03 am
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

I am going to drop the numbers for the sake of a clear and easy to read argument.

I am not quite clear on the molecules-to-man theory but from what I know. It is only Macro evolution which is only Micro evolution over time. As smaller changes add up they become big changes and that is the bases of evolution. The reason that we don't know what existed before the beginning of the universe is because we haven't made a hypothosis that allows gives us a view of the early universe. By making-up a guy that looks like us, talks in the same language as us, and just happens to favor us compared to all the other life in the universe. Is just proof that humans need somthing to beleive in.

Dreamboat said...
on Jun. 2 2011 at 8:52 am
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry to comment before her (or him?) but science has been repetedly used to try and prove the existence of a god or gods but people have never been able to come up with a resonable hypothosis and experiment to prove or disprove god, and the ability of not being able to test this "thory" only excludes it from being a thory.

on May. 25 2011 at 9:11 am
From what I'm reading from both the article and the comments, I find it amazing. The reason why I state that is because of evolution and creationism have one peticular goal: explaining the origins of earth. Genesis states that God created the heavens and the earth. But people are saying that nothng can't create something. If matter and anti-matter created the universe, than what created those two opposing sides. If nothng cannot create something, then matter and anti-matter had to be created from something. My thought is that God created matter and anti-matter to create the heavens and the earth. I believe that everything (in a way) resorts back to God. You can describe His wonders through science, therefore science could be a tool to help us know more about God. Sydney B., do you agree?   

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Evolution has never been proven. What is your evidence that it has?

Everything that happened it Genesis should be taken literally. God did create the Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Evolution fits in nowhere with the Genesis account of creation. 

You cannot believe both because they do not coincide with each other. 

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

Oh, and about the science textbook thing? Science is schools is a funny thing because it basically contradicts itself. Each year in science you learn that what you were taught last year is basically wrong. That's just how it works.

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

Actually, the theory of evolution isn't just a "theory" - this is a proven theory, just like "gravity theory" or "germ theory." It CAN be proven and it HAS been. 

Personally, I believe in both evolution and creationism. I believe we did evolve from monkeys or whatever. But I believe God set this into motion. Just like many things in the Bible are metaphorical, all the stuff about how the earth was created in a week and stuff in Genesis is all metaphorical.

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

I am going to reply to each of your points and they will be numbered and match up with yours.

1. I understand it is a theory and an old one at that. However, I believe evidence is being falsely interpretated to support it.

2. I know the Big Bang Thoery has nothing to do with evolution but it is an origins theory. There are two types of evolution being taught. Natural selection, where a certain species evolves to adapt to it's environment, and "molecules-to-man" evolution which are different.

3. Yes, most people believe that. However, natural selection can occur in smaller amounts of time.

4. I do not believe that all organisms originated from one. That is what evolutionists believe. I understand how it works.

5. Creation has also stood the test of time and has been around longer than the theory of evolution. Evolution is still a theory and should be referred to as such.

6. Something cannot come from anything. So where did the energy of the Big Bang come from?

7. God is holy, finite, and powerful being. Because He is God, he able to do so. He has the power to do so. He is all-powerful.

8. The evolution you are referring to in this point is natural selection which is different from molecules to man evolution. 

9. Creationism can be proven and tested. Just because it is in the Bible, doesn't mean science can't prove it.

10. However, there has never been anything to prove it either.

This is where I break neutrality. I believe in God. I question evolution because I find it silly. I personally think it could be corrected. Put God back into things such as these. We are not related to apes. We are sparated from them. Evolution is a way to describe how God created us and everything else, but there are things I disagree with. We humans did not "evolve" from animals. God created us in His image. End of story! Not only that, just don't teach evolution and creationism in schools, it confuses the young kids. 

Dreamboat said...
on May. 17 2011 at 9:05 am
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

Hi, I really like how you decided to post your views about the world but you have somethings wrong.

1. Yes, evolution is only a theory but it is a theory that has stood the test of time and people trying to bring it down. Evolution is a surprisingly easy theory to disprove. If one fossil was found outside it's time period, the theory would no longer work.

2. There is only one type of evolution. The big bang is a theory that has nothing to do with the mutations of DNA (AKA evolution).

3.Evolution happens over millions and millions of year. Not a short time by anyone standards.

4.You stated that all organisms on earth "originated from only one organism" Yes they did, one changed a little bit until it was different enough to be called a new species. Then that species changes until its a new species.

5. Everyone (really only scientists) will tell you that evolution is a theory, but it is the most credited theory out there and has stood the test of time. Also the theory of evolution and natural selection are the same thing.

6. The first law of Thermodynamics states that no matter or energy is created or destroyed, but the energy and matter before the big bang was not created it was in that singularity to began with and we don't have a good hypothesis on what it was before.

7. Going with the 1st law of thermodynamics, how could God create everything from nothing? Did he use his own body to supply the universe with matter and energy?

8. Evolution was discovered by Charles Darwin on his journey around the world. Evolution has been observed many times and people have even done their own evolution with animals over the centuries.

9. The basis of a scientific theory is the ability to be disproven, because creationism can't be proven or tested, it is not considered a theory or a fact.

10. Their has never been a discovery disproving evolution that has not been proven a hoax in a week or two. I refer you to number one

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Why is it impossible for evolution to be a truth if you acknowledge the existence of such scientific entities as atoms and anti-matter? It seems that you are attempting to use science to disprove a theory which is logically sound.

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

I believe God created atoms but when he created Earth he actually created the animals at the time like in Genesis.

Okay. Like everything was created by atoms and such. So what created atoms? God did, because with atoms He made life. It is hard to describe, but I know what I'm talking about. Like this: God created atoms; which became protons and electrons and matter and anti-matter, thus creating life as we know. Do you get what I mean? Like I said before, it's hard to explain but I know what I'm talking about. It's like this endless cycle in life.  

on May. 16 2011 at 5:27 am
sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Could you explain your cycle thing a bit better?

Okay, so you don't believe in evolution. Good. The reason being is that I question people's opinion to make them think. I know there is a God, everything resorts back to Him. Like this: evolution, man, atoms, molecules, protons, electrons, God. It is a cycle if you know what I mean. I'm just a quizical person that's all. 

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Darwin is a person and had a mother you gave birth to him. He was "created" by God. We all are.

I do not believe evolution either, but it's a popular theory being taught in schools that in short states life came from non-life.

on May. 13 2011 at 8:13 am
Okay, then who created Darwin? I remain unconvinced what this "theory" called evolution states. Right now I'm remaining neutral on this debate. I'm asking questions to know about this, not to be annoying, I'm just asking. I would like to know about evolution.

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

That's how I am, mostly. Both or neither. Thank you!

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Charles Darwin created the theory of evolution. 

Do you not agree with evolution or my arguments against evolution?