Evolution in Schools

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

LifeInTechnicolourThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm:

Actually, the theory of evolution isn't just a "theory" - this is a proven theory, just like "gravity theory" or "germ theory." It CAN be proven and it HAS been. 

Personally, I believe in both evolution and creationism. I believe we did evolve from monkeys or whatever. But I believe God set this into motion. Just like many things in the Bible are metaphorical, all the stuff about how the earth was created in a week and stuff in Genesis is all metaphorical.

LifeInTechnicolourThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm :
Oh, and about the science textbook thing? Science is schools is a funny thing because it basically contradicts itself. Each year in science you learn that what you were taught last year is basically wrong. That's just how it works.

Sydney B. replied...
May 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm :

Evolution has never been proven. What is your evidence that it has?

Everything that happened it Genesis should be taken literally. God did create the Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Evolution fits in nowhere with the Genesis account of creation. 

You cannot believe both because they do not coincide with each other. 

Mountain_of_the_Skull replied...
May 25, 2011 at 9:11 am :
From what I'm reading from both the article and the comments, I find it amazing. The reason why I state that is because of evolution and creationism have one peticular goal: explaining the origins of earth. Genesis states that God created the heavens and the earth. But people are saying that nothng can't create something. If matter and anti-matter created the universe, than what created those two opposing sides. If nothng cannot create something, then matter and anti-matter had to... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 8:52 am :
Sorry to comment before her (or him?) but science has been repetedly used to try and prove the existence of a god or gods but people have never been able to come up with a resonable hypothosis and experiment to prove or disprove god, and the ability of not being able to test this "thory" only excludes it from being a thory.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm :
you can't prove that God doesn't exist though.  and sometimes you just have to forget science, which i think of as man's way to try and understand the physical universe, and you have to find God through other means.  he's been "proven" to exist by means other than science.  :)

Dreamboat replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:44 am :
Sorry but you cant prove somthing that dosnt exist.

Dreamboat replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:44 am :
or wrong.               

Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm :
True.  But for me, along with millions of others, God does exist, and therefore he is proven to exist by what is in the Bible and what has been experienced by us Chrisitian individuals.  (i'm not sure I got the tenses right just there, but you probably get what i'm trying to say anyway.  i mean, i'm taking for granted you're intelligent;)  (that was an attempted joke, k?)

Dreamboat replied...
Oct. 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm :
Well I understand and yes I understood the joke (I don't apriciate the stap). Although people have the right to beleive what they want religion should be restricted to clubs and out of school activites, like church or mass. When you start trying to pass of religion as a viable scientific theory that's when I start to have a problem.

Dreamboat said...
May 17, 2011 at 9:05 am:

Hi, I really like how you decided to post your views about the world but you have somethings wrong.

1. Yes, evolution is only a theory but it is a theory that has stood the test of time and people trying to bring it down. Evolution is a surprisingly easy theory to disprove. If one fossil was found outside it's time period, the theory would no longer work.

2. There is only one type of evolution. The big bang is a theory that has nothing to do with the... (more »)

Sydney B. replied...
May 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm :

I am going to reply to each of your points and they will be numbered and match up with yours.

1. I understand it is a theory and an old one at that. However, I believe evidence is being falsely interpretated to support it.

2. I know the Big Bang Thoery has nothing to do with evolution but it is an origins theory. There are two types of evolution being taught. Natural selection, where a certain species evolves to adapt to it's environment, and "molecules-to-man" evolution which a... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:03 am :

I am going to drop the numbers for the sake of a clear and easy to read argument.

I am not quite clear on the molecules-to-man theory but from what I know. It is only Macro evolution which is only Micro evolution over time. As smaller changes add up they become big changes and that is the bases of evolution. The reason that we don't know what existed before the beginning of the universe is because we haven't made a hypothosis that allows gives us a view of the early universe. By making... (more »)

Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm :
i find you very interesting, that's why i keep commenting on your comments.   sorry if this is annoying.  you said, we haven't made a hypothesis that allows us a view of the early universe.  this is exactly what gives creationism the same weight.  when talking science, evolution and creationism are on the same level.  many scientists believe in evolution just because they don't want to admit there's a God.  I'm not saying that's what you think.  also, i know it... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:47 am :
In my opinon, people can beleive what they want. The problem I have is when conflicting beleifs cause wars. I dont care if Creationism is taught outside of school but when people start trying to give more leverage to their beleifs, I think it is wrong.

ThereIsAHeaven said...
May 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm:
I got a question for you, who came up with this theory evolution? I read the article, but highly doubt what it stated.  

Sydney B. replied...
May 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm :

Charles Darwin created the theory of evolution. 

Do you not agree with evolution or my arguments against evolution?

ThereIsAHeaven replied...
May 13, 2011 at 8:13 am :
Okay, then who created Darwin? I remain unconvinced what this "theory" called evolution states. Right now I'm remaining neutral on this debate. I'm asking questions to know about this, not to be annoying, I'm just asking. I would like to know about evolution.

Sydney B. replied...
May 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm :

Darwin is a person and had a mother you gave birth to him. He was "created" by God. We all are.

I do not believe evolution either, but it's a popular theory being taught in schools that in short states life came from non-life.

ThereIsAHeaven replied...
May 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm :
Okay, so you don't believe in evolution. Good. The reason being is that I question people's opinion to make them think. I know there is a God, everything resorts back to Him. Like this: evolution, man, atoms, molecules, protons, electrons, God. It is a cycle if you know what I mean. I'm just a quizical person that's all.